Scratch Building, Aircraft Design, 3D/CAD If you are starting/building a project from scratch or want to discuss design, CAD or even share 3D design images this is the place. Q&A's.

CAD/3D software For PowerMac

Old 12-25-2006, 10:10 AM
SoCalSal

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default CAD/3D software For PowerMac

Hi, I'm interested in learning more about CAD design. I now know nothing. My question is there a good program (software) out there that will work on a PowerMac G4 Dual procecors and 1 gig or ram?.
If so can someone tell the name of the software?.
Thanks
Old 12-25-2006, 06:02 PM
CoosBayLumber

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: CAD/3D software For PowerMac

I can remember that Autodesk was pushing version ten of Autocad for the Mac back in the 1980's for they thought the P.C. was going no place. This was just before Windows came out.

I see this version every so often for sale. Most folks think a MAC for CAD to be slow and antique. This version ought to run like a Hot Rod with newer computer. I know that there were updates available to make it version 11 and 12. This topic had been discussed at the Autodesk forums, and a representative pointed out that they ahd it available into version 2000, but very few sold and was dropped. Most users did not want to pay the extra $$ for a MAC computer when a PC was going hundreds less.

Wm.
Old 12-25-2006, 08:13 PM
SoCalSal

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Thanks for the info. It's ironic how the Mac is now able to run both operating systems now. I have always used a Mac and I use a P.C. at work. I'm no computer expert by any means but we have to have a guy at work full time to keep our system working. I worked at another company wich used Mac's only and doing the same type of work. We never had a software issue. Go figure?
Well I don't want to spend the bucks for either type of computer at this time so I guess I'll just have to put the Cad idea on hold till I need to buy another computer, wich will be another Mac but the Intel powered one. Then I can put that unsucure Windows operating software on a seperate hard drive just for useing a Cad program.

Thanks for your input.
Old 12-26-2006, 05:21 AM
VinceC

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Have you had a look at Vectorworks? They have rec ently released a version for the Intel chip
Old 12-26-2006, 08:24 AM
SoCalSal

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

No I have not looked at that version as I don't have a Intel based Mac.
Thanks anyway.
Happy New Year
Old 12-26-2006, 10:24 AM
CoosBayLumber

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I don't know about other systems, but have found that CAD doesn't really take that much of a computer. You cannot think as fast as one of ten years old now. Popping off on the keyboard or moving the mouse doesn't use but a fraction of the computer capability. What really eats up the processor is simple things like compiling for printing and the graphics. Provided you were able to locate CAD for the MAC, then your PowerMac ought to be more than adequate. Go try one of the Google CAD groups, and get a pointer there as to what they are using. Do not try and explain what you are doing, remain vague, for you just may be a fleet of one at this point.

I ran for years on a PC at 66 mhz. When the hard drive began giving problems, I was given a computer of 144 MHZ. And still use it quite often. Remember, when you show off the print of your efforts, no one is going to question if you had a modern $2000 computer or a free one which was ten years old.

Wm.
Old 12-27-2006, 08:53 PM
blw

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

That's true. The output doesn't care.

I have Macs because I was in the graphics business for a while. We ran both Windows and Macs using identical versions of software at the last place I worked. Half the office liked Windows and half liked the Macs. We all had to trade places every once in a while, and it was agreed that there was much less clicking going on with the Mac OS. That meant time and money to us. I now laugh at how slow all of those computers were!

It isn't so much what you are doing that takes processor cycles, it's the screen output. You can't really say that something is faster because it is Windows or Mac based. There are too many variables like graphic processor cards, software optimization, shoddy programming, etc. Another thing that most people dont' get is that the last generation of Macs were RISC based. Everything ran faster even if the processor and bus was slower due to the inherent speed of RISC programming. Mine is a 2 gHz dual processor RISC computer. It competes with Intels running around 3 gHz when it comes to output power.

I have 3D modeling software. My best is Sketch! by Alias Research. I never thought I would get into designing models or I would have Autocad now. I still like to model things from time to time. Actually, I think there are a couple of CAD programs for the Mac. I remember seeing something about them not so long ago, but never got into the details.
Old 12-29-2006, 01:50 PM
Clipwing

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

the fellow that mentioned Vectorworks is right on it is the Cadilac of cad style drafting programs for the Mac! there is also a less expensive program called Turbo-Cad which I believe s available in the mac formate.

yup-look here:http://www.turbocad.com/
OR:http://www.nemetschek.net/products/index.php
Hope this helps
Cheers

Hey BLW!
Old 12-29-2006, 11:28 PM
blw

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Well well well, Clipwing to the rescue here! Thanks. I know that I should have remembered all of this. You aren't going to let me live this down, are you?

Is Vectorworks also out for the non-Intel Macs? If so, I need to be looking at it closely too. Off to look at Turbocad too.
Old 01-14-2013, 02:23 AM
thailazer

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Was searching RCU for simple CAD programs to plot wing ribs and scale them for swept wings and was wondering what was out there for Macs. This is an old thread so I am sure there must be a lot of new offerings out there.

Search this Thread