Scratch Building, Aircraft Design, 3D/CAD If you are starting/building a project from scratch or want to discuss design, CAD or even share 3D design images this is the place. Q&A's.

Dragon - Pusher Canard from 1979

Old 01-01-2007, 06:34 AM
Bone

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Dragon - Pusher Canard from 1979

After many years of procrastination (about 27 years it appears) I have decided to build a pusher canard. The model I have chosen is the Dragon as featured in the May 1979 issue of RCM Magazine - see page 48. For reference I have attached a scanned colour pic of the magazine model. I do enjoy building & flying the occasional oddball model, certainly a change from the generic models that grace some flying fields.

The magazine text is comprehensive. But am wondering if there are any older modellers out there who have built this model or something similar? Am interested in all comments but specifically comments about flying characteristics. From what I read, it looks to be a lot of fun & is very different.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Sq47855.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	98.5 KB
ID:	588014  
Old 01-03-2007, 11:31 PM
cwesh

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Dragon - Pusher Canard from 1979

That plane is simular to my Starliners. (pictures attached of the Mk IV (.91 glow)

My birds fly great. I find them to be very stable, they go where I point them, and not having to worry about stalling is a big plus. They are fast, responsive, yet are not twitchy. Landings are very easy once you slow down, get the nose up and they will just about land themselves.

Also, even tho they are pushers, I have never had any overheating problems on the ground, even in 100 degree Texas heat, I don't rush out to the runway, just startup, check needle setting and go, just like a puller plane.

they are fun planes. Besides, I always enjoy the comments about "flying backwards"

With the Dragin having a simular airframe layout, I would expect the Dragon to fly just like the Starliners.

HTH!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Ig13230.jpg
Views:	137
Size:	40.3 KB
ID:	590266   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vr53443.jpg
Views:	371
Size:	16.4 KB
ID:	590267  
Old 01-04-2007, 07:22 AM
simhatus

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Hi

I am currently building a own design canard type plane, where is the cg on the above 2 planes?

Simon
Old 01-04-2007, 12:35 PM
cwesh

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Simon,

The CG on the Mk IV Starliner is 7 inches in front of the main wing (29 inches between the leading edge of the main wing and the canard leading edge) Now, the CG location is dependent on the main wing area, canard area, distance between the wings, and the MAC of both. I used the calculations from Andy Lennon's book "Basics of RC Aircraft Design" to figure it out.

If you would like more info, PM me, don't need to hijack Bone's thread too much

Later!
Old 01-10-2007, 03:38 PM
long

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

You brought back fond memerys, I built the Dragon very shortly after reading the artical. I do have photos but they are on 35 mm slides. The thing I do remember is comming in on final and apearing to be taking off, a little hard to get used to but as you said I too likes something different sometime. The plane met its demise when the wing broke at the joint between the two halfs. Builders error bad design? Just to let you know to pay attention when joining the wing halfs... I do not remember just how I did it but be carefull,,, I sure enjoyed it while it lasted,, happy building.. ps. the nose takes lots of sanding,,,,,

Search this Thread