Community
Search
Notices
Scratch Building, Aircraft Design, 3D/CAD If you are starting/building a project from scratch or want to discuss design, CAD or even share 3D design images this is the place. Q&A's.

fiberglass v wood

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2007, 10:45 PM
jdavis

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default fiberglass v wood

ok, newbie alert!!!!

i have a set of george miller a-10 plans that i would like to build someday. it would be my first scratch build, but i understand that there are folks out there that will laser cut the wood for me to make it easier... but thats not my question.

i would like to make it electric for many reasons. 1) i cant afford to even look at a turbine 2) glow df engines are going the way of the dinosaurs and i dont like the ugly pipes sticking out of the nacelles...

so, would making it out of wood be lighter, or for a fiberglass fuse be better?

if fiberglass, then how hard would it be to make the mold? i would assume, i would build the plane outta wood, then made the mold from that? is there a mold making kit out there? yes, i know im biting off WAY more than i should at this stage, but, i dont think i will be getting to this anytime soon, and i have a few kits yet to build, but i wanted to get an idea of what im up against.

-jim
Old 01-04-2007, 11:25 PM
Pitts S1S
My Feedback: (9)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: fiberglass v wood

Jim,

Take a look in the composite fabrication forum, theres a ton of threads on plug building, and mold making. Just about all your queations can be answered there.

Also Mike James has a great web site showing you step by step how to build a composite model, from CAD thru plug making, laying up the mold, and finnally pulling parts. http://www.nextcraft.com/j47_development.html

Hope that helps you out abit.

Jeff