Community
Search
Notices
Scratch Building, Aircraft Design, 3D/CAD If you are starting/building a project from scratch or want to discuss design, CAD or even share 3D design images this is the place. Q&A's.

Scaling plans down?

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2007, 09:43 AM
RVM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Scaling plans down?

I have plans for a 27% Extra that I want to build, but until I can afford the more expensive engine and servos etc. I want to build a .60 size glow version for stuff I already having laying around. Is there anything I need to keep in mind while building from reduced plans? I know I will need to adjust the dimensions of the wood I'm using during the build - any tips for keeping a good fit between parts? I'm going from 80" wingspan to about 60" - 64". Also, for obvious reasons, weight is extremely important, so I want to keep that in mind while building.

Any advice on this project would be very much appreciated!
Old 01-05-2007, 12:14 PM
Campgems

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Scaling plans down?

the size and position of the sticks can be a problem. IE you 60" wing is a 75% model of the 80". So, a 3/8" stick would translate to 9/32". You would use either a 5/16 or a 1/4, and you would have to adjust the position on formers, ribs, and such for the difference in size that would result as the new plans would show 9/32" cutouts. Other than this issue, the only other problem I could see is if you are using stock parts, IE landing gear and such, you might have trouble finding the reduced size. Maybe not.

Sounds like a fun project though.

Don

PS, a 60" wing is just the right size in my mind. It will fit in the passengers seat of my car with the back dropped down and a fuselage for that size wing, unless it is a pattern plane, will fit in the trunk. Any larger, and I get into transportation problems.