Notices
Scratch Building, Aircraft Design, 3D/CAD If you are starting/building a project from scratch or want to discuss design, CAD or even share 3D design images this is the place. Q&A's.

Spray Glue?

Old 01-09-2007, 03:45 PM
wascamp
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Spray Glue?

I read somewhere in the forums of using spray glue to stick patterns on to wood for parts cutting. Does anyone have a brand name that I could buy at Home depot or Lowe's? I have some 3M type 77, but it is tough to remove the paper once the part is cut. In the old days I used rubber cement (Muselige) but there has to be a better way. Help!!!
Old 01-09-2007, 03:48 PM
slopemeno
My Feedback: (2)

Default RE: Spray Glue?

If you look at Office Depot they sell the spray adhesive that Post-It notes have. Its a 3-M product.
Old 01-09-2007, 04:03 PM
Laird SS

Muscilage was a wet glue, not a rubber type cement. You might also try 3M Spray Mount Artist's Adhesive. It bonds paper to wood, but the paper can be removed easily.
Old 01-09-2007, 04:28 PM
mmattockx

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: wascamp

I have some 3M type 77, but it is tough to remove the paper once the part is cut.

Use less glue! I use 3M77 and it is no problem to pop off the templates when they are cut. I just mist the paper with glue, not a heavy coat and it works fine.

Mark
Old 01-09-2007, 04:29 PM
TLH101
My Feedback: (90)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I use 3M 77. I just put a "light" mist on the pattern ONLY. Peels right off when I'm done. I read on another forum that a little heat will help to get it released if too tacky.
Old 01-09-2007, 05:18 PM
T_om

I use Duro spray adhesive from Lowe's. 1/3rd the cost of 3M-77 and works perfectly. Just as others have posted, you have to develop a feel for how much you need in certain situations. Usually just a VERY light 'dusting' is good enough to hold paper to pattern material and it peels right off afterward.

Tom
Old 01-09-2007, 06:11 PM
wascamp

Thanks fellows, I plan on getting into Spokane next week and will stop by the local building supply places. Now that I know what I want it should be easy. Untill then I will try the light coat of 77. When I was a kid we made paper glue from flour. It worked but it was a bit messy.
Old 01-09-2007, 10:47 PM
wascamp

I tried your suggestions to use the 3M-77 tonight and it worked great. I shot a fine mist on the templates and they stuck just fine. I pulled a few up and they came right off. I will try to finish cutting the formers shortly so the glue does not have a shance to completly setup.

Thanks for the help.
Old 01-09-2007, 11:17 PM
blw
My Feedback: (3)

What about a spray for using to spray down patterns on Ultracote or Monokote? It would have to be removable and not damage the covering....
Old 01-10-2007, 07:37 AM
Edwin

I used to use 3M77. Now I use 3M45. About half the cost or less and works just as good.
Edwin
Old 01-10-2007, 05:16 PM
elcam84

For spray glue I use the cheapest stuff I can find cause it will come off easier.

I often use dollar store mucilage for some items. It's two bottles for $1. They have some stick glues as well and lots of other small items that work great for model building. Worst thing is it's only $1 an item. Lots of cheap clamps there too.
Old 01-10-2007, 07:53 PM
wascamp

The dollar store sounds like a good idea. I can always use more clamps. I will have to look for one in Spokane as there are none in the local area.
Thanks for all the help. I am using -77 now for all of my paper composits. I even used it to put sandpaper on my T-Bar sander. I used too much the first time but 5 min. on the woodstove and the paper peeled right off. I used the light mist method this time and it worked just fine.
I really need a scroll saw. I will make that the first stop on our next trip.
Old 01-11-2007, 10:28 PM
elcam84

There was an explosion of privatly owned dollar stores here then they thinned out. There was one that had really good little clamps and stuff for $1 ea. They were very similar to the ones on this page. https://www.nelsonhobby.com/clamps.html Don't know anything about them but they are very close to me as in just a few miles away.
I have been checking all the dollar stores for them for a while now. I'm about to just order a case of them from the manufacturer.

For sanding blocks scraps of MDF work great. They are hard and dead flat. I have to order more paper for my t-sander. I have a 3 or 4' one (CRS strikes again). Gotta get it by the roll for it.

For a budget scroll saw the Delta SS350 works well. I picked up a used one locally for $75 nearly brand new with lots of packs of german blades. Best buy on blades is ebay.
Old 01-12-2007, 10:31 PM
blw

The dollar store has rolls of that plastic mat stuff for kitchens for $1. They are good for rolling out quickly to lay small parts on, tools, etc. I also use them to shim motor mounts to the firewall, and to increase angle of attack on wings at the field.

The best deal that I've seen is at Walmart's. They have a clear plastic tube of small spring clamps in 3 sizes. I think 30 come to a tube and they were $2.99. They are just about as good quality as those at Sear's. They come in bright colors.
Old 01-12-2007, 10:48 PM
elcam84

I'll check wally world here for those clamps. I haven't seen them there before. I did buy a tube from Northern tool here and several were broken off the bat.
The Harborfreight tube of them is a little more $ but thicker plastic. this stuff is available from many different factories in China at different qualities. (I have checked into buying several items) http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...temnumber=8826

Also Harbor freight now has an aluminum clamp. IIRC it's $1 or $1.50. It's a deal for an aluminum one. Very nice looking clamps as well.

Here is the 1" http://www.harborfreightusa.com/usa/...bCategoryName=

and the 2" http://www.harborfreightusa.com/usa/...bCategoryName=

If the links don't work the item numbers aer 94923 and 94922. go to www.harborfreightusa.com as the catalog site doesn't list them.

I have lots of little clamps but as a woodworker you can never have too many clamps.
Old 01-13-2007, 05:24 PM
Edwin

Watch out for the clamps at harbor freight too. All the tubes had several broken clamps in each one.
Edwin
Old 01-13-2007, 08:04 PM
blw

Those look like the same ones I got, only my tube has a stick on label. Went and checked- 22 of them. A mix of 3/4 and 1" clamps. None are broken. I've used them a few times already.