Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Scratch Building, Aircraft Design, 3D/CAD
Reload this Page >

72" Profile Bipe Build Thread

Community
Search
Notices
Scratch Building, Aircraft Design, 3D/CAD If you are starting/building a project from scratch or want to discuss design, CAD or even share 3D design images this is the place. Q&A's.

72" Profile Bipe Build Thread

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2007, 02:58 PM
ArmedZagi
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 72" Profile Bipe Build Thread

For a few years now, I've had the urge to get into giant scale. I've also loved the way biplanes look, but I've never owned one. I also like 3D, but I've never owned a 3D plane... It seems only logical that I should build something to cure this problem

I wanted something unique, so I decided to design my own. Now, I'm very new to CAD, in fact, this is the first set of plans I've ever made on it, so any tips or suggestions would be great. Since I'm new to it it’s hard to put my ideas onto CAD with any degree of accuracy so use you're imagination to fill in the gaps

The engine I'll be using is a 52cc chainsaw conversion. It was tached at 9000rpm+ with an old 20x10 Dynathrust prop. For servos I'll be using "Tower Pro MG995" (Ya, I had never heard of them either). They're digital and @ 6v they produce 208oz/in of torque and a speed of .13sec/60degrees. Not bad for a $15 servo. I'll be using 9 of them. 2 on the elevators, 2 on the rudder, 1 for the throttle, and one on each aileron.

There’s a number of things on the plane that will be different than what you see on the plans. For instance, the sides of the fuselage will be covered with carbon tape from the TE of the wings to the nose. The thickness and number of ribs has also been changed since I drew the plans and I don’t really feel like taking the time to change them.

I've ordered the wood and other materials for this plane and they should be in late this week or early next.

If anyone is interested in seeing this plane come together, please let me know. I'll try to make updates as often as I can. Above all feel free to offer suggestions and ask questions, I'm quite sure there’s a ton of info I left out.

PS: Yes, I know I'm getting ahead of myself here....but heres the scheme I'm planing on using. Its Dark Blue, Transparent Yellow, and White.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Jh15723.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	66.9 KB
ID:	595040   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zu64794.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	29.6 KB
ID:	595041  
Old 01-12-2007, 12:30 AM
ArmedZagi

Default RE: 72" Profile Bipe Build Thread

Ok, first day of building on the bipe. Man was it hard to find a good piece of balsa in that box, just about every piece was warped pretty bad. First off I laminated 1/2"x1" balsa together to make a couple of long 1" sticks. Glued them with "Titebond 2". This is the first time I've used wood glue on a model, but I've been hearing some nice things about it on the forums. I like the results, those things are STIFF....this plane should'nt flex much.

I then cut the pieces which connect the two main beams. I used epoxy this time. Here's a pic of what little I've got goin so far.

Should get a lot more done tomorrow. Today I spent most of my building time on a friends plane. Its an old U-Control model. Some of you might recognise it. Its the Veco Tomahawk. Here's a couple pics of it. Since the pics were taken I've added the landing gear.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ca80762.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	55.8 KB
ID:	596077   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cx76084.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	68.9 KB
ID:	596078   Click image for larger version

Name:	Af89092.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	71.8 KB
ID:	596079  
Old 01-12-2007, 05:04 PM
ArmedZagi

Default RE: 72" Profile Bipe Build Thread

I think I've done all I can until I get some more parts in.

Here's my to-do list on the fues:
1. Build the part where the wings connects to the fues.
2. Install the fuel tank
3. Build servo trays
4. Carbon tape
5. Build the side-stiffener-strip-horizontal stabilizer-all-in-one-things (don't know what to call them )
6. Glue triangle stock on the joints

After actually building on the plane some, I've decided that I can build it much lighter while still keeping it plenty strong. It looked a lot more fragile on CAD...

Here's a few more pics. Its finally starting to look like something Sorry about the picture quality, things get blurry without the flash, background gets dark with it. Camera's hate me....

It should look a little less like a large rectangle when I get the other pieces on the bottom.