Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Scratch Building, Aircraft Design, 3D/CAD
Reload this Page >

Experts! Get a noob started on the right foot!

Community
Search
Notices
Scratch Building, Aircraft Design, 3D/CAD If you are starting/building a project from scratch or want to discuss design, CAD or even share 3D design images this is the place. Q&A's.

Experts! Get a noob started on the right foot!

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2007, 11:19 AM
Zephirus79

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Experts! Get a noob started on the right foot!

hey everyone, been flying RC planes for about 6 months now and Im still flying my same old tower hobbies .40 trainer. I did put a .55AX in it though so it moves along pretty well!

Anyway, I will be getting my income tax back soon and I want to gather opinions...

We are building me a workshop / garage. Eventually I want to be able to build planes and design them from pictures of aircrafts or plans.

I have never even built a kit before and I realize my goal is way down the road. But where is a good place to get started?

im assuming a lot of books which is fine by me because I like to read about this hobby. I have never built a kit, or covered anything. I have made repairs to my plane so I do have the basic covering tools and glues and such...

Im just wondering what steps would you take, what books would you suggest, should I kit build one before I scratch build one? Should I build another trainer just because they are easy or get something a bit more difficult?

thanks for all the advice, this is a great website and I spend a lot of time reading here.

Oh, dont worry about the software, I have turbocad, autocad, and im getting solidworks soon, any other suggestions would be helpful. Getting most of my software totally free...

Thanks!

Old 02-22-2007, 04:58 PM
dr_wogz
My Feedback: (3)

Default RE: Experts! Get a noob started on the right foot!

Many questions, and many responces!!

Search.. and search again. there is a wealth of info on teh subject here...

The Harry Higley line of books is a good start. MAN magazine have a line of books. (Magazines now typically focus on ARFs, but there are a select few taht do deal with 'building')

You need a good, flat work surface, a good bench, and a surface to stick pins into. I use a sheet of gyprock / drywall as it takes pins quite well.

You'll need to get a few tools; X-acto knife, T-pins, rulers, sand paper, sanding blocks / bars, wax paper (to protect plans from glue), etc.. You'll be buying tools as you build & your experience increases! Trust me!

Start with a kit!!! Make at least about 10 kits. Once you've got about 10 kits under your belt, you'll see what is commonly done, and what isn't. It'll all make sence! (and you should build a few differet kinds of kits, form different manufacturers, to get an 'all round' feel)

Study the crashes at your feild. No better way to see the insde' of a plane than a crash. It also helps to show what can happen if little mistakes are made. (Oops, forgot a bit of glue on that rib!)

And sometimes, crashes are tossed, but can be repaired with enough spirit!

Start with either SIG or Great Planes. They are very well thought out, and GP kits typically feature 'helpful hints / expert tips" on building in their manuals, a great source of info! Save the Balsa USA & Pica kits for later! {builder's kits}

There are such things as beginner kits, novice kits, 'builders' kits, and 'what the crap is this {co} thinking with this $$%^&* kit?!! kit.

Read and re-read teh manuals, and study teh plans. Dry fit the parts together before glueing, and see if yo can build a few steps ahead of what you're glueing. That way, you get a good idea of what is comming, and how it all fits together.

Take your time!!! it isn't a race!

Again, the aboved mentioned authours have a few books on 'scratch building'. A few rules to follow.. Then the sky's teh limit!

Scale planes are typically drawn up form '3-view' drawings: top, side, front views. You then draw up the parts & such as you require based off these 3 views.

TurboCAD or Autocad is good enough. No need for the fancy 3D parametric modeling of the plane. Just a simple 2D drawing (unless you are are CAD guy!!) Proper CAD techniques typically have a steep learning curve...
Old 02-22-2007, 05:02 PM
dr_wogz
My Feedback: (3)

Default RE: Experts! Get a noob started on the right foot!

Start with the Sig 4-Star series. Good starter kit plane, and a good 2nd plane. Or the Sig Something Extra. Again, a good 'advanced' starter kit, and a good 'advanced' 2nd or 3rd plane.

Great Planes kits are becomming a rare breed, but they do have a helpful table to help choose based off building & flyign skills. You can also download their manuals, and read them till teh cows come home! (when do cows come home??!)