Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Scratch Building, Aircraft Design, 3D/CAD
Reload this Page >

Need info to turn Tiger 2 to Taildragger

Community
Search
Notices
Scratch Building, Aircraft Design, 3D/CAD If you are starting/building a project from scratch or want to discuss design, CAD or even share 3D design images this is the place. Q&A's.

Need info to turn Tiger 2 to Taildragger

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2003, 02:18 AM
TravisEO

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need info to turn Tiger 2 to Taildragger

I built a Goldberg Tiger 2 kit with trike gear last spring. It is a great plane. When I purchased the kit it did not include instructions to make it a tail-dragger. I would now like to convert it into a tail-dragger.

Does anyone have or know where to get instructions to convert a Goldberg Tiger 2 plane with trike gear into a taildragger? Any experience with the pros and cons of doing so?

Thanks,

Travis
Old 02-12-2003, 02:48 AM
CCRC1
My Feedback: (13)

TravisEo, I had a Tiger 2 ARF new in the box, for a year or so before I gave it to a 13 year old flyer in my club for christmas. The instruction were in the manual. The holes were already predrilled and had blind nuts installed from the factory. Is yours a kit or an ARF? If you have a local hobby shop that has the ARF in stock maybe you can look at the instruction manual. It really isn't difficult to do the conversion. If the young man who built the one I had still has the manual I will try to get it for you.
Old 02-12-2003, 06:53 PM
Tall Paul

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I taildragged my TII and T60 several years ago.
On the TII, I moved the main mount block ahead of the spar, with suitable cutouts in the ply ribs.
The front of the wheels can just be seen when looking down at the plane.
On the T60, I added retracts installed ahead of the spar...
Both planes will take off with no steering correction needed. The tail comes up and they go straight.
I've observed planes with the gear mounted ahead of the wing as the GB suggested position, or the 4*s are problems taking off and landing.
And they look dorky!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	54809_25376.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	54.5 KB
ID:	33912  
Old 02-13-2003, 02:14 AM
gtisme

Travis,

I turned my T-II into tail-dragger to gain some ground clearance for the 12x7 APC prop on my Magnum .61 four stroke. I did it the easy way by removing the wire main gear and nose gear, then I used a Dural aluminum gear mounted to the bottom of the fuselage just ahead of the leading edge of the wing. You should use a piece of aircraft ply epoxied in to the bottom of the fuel tank compartment for strength. Put on a DuBro tail wheel ass'y with a 3/4" tailwheel. Be sure and check your balance. Great ground handling!
Old 02-15-2003, 04:40 AM
TravisEO

Looking forward to making the change over. Plan to go with the landing gear in front of LE under fuse. If looks too dorky, I will attempt to place under the wing closest to LE. Will reply back with handling results later. Thanks for the info. Everyone has been very helpful.

Travis