Community
Search
Notices
Scratch Building, Aircraft Design, 3D/CAD If you are starting/building a project from scratch or want to discuss design, CAD or even share 3D design images this is the place. Q&A's.

one verticl or 2

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2007, 08:06 PM
rotccapt

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default one verticl or 2

i am taking an old plane from the August 1991 issue of model aviation and re-drawing it in cad since i dont think that plans are availible for it. the plane is an AIRMASTER canard style plane. it has a 66" wing span and will be flown with twin push pull TT 46 pros. while re-drawing it i had the idea to eliminate the single centerline mounted verticle fin and rudder and moving it to the wing tips. would this affect the way it flys? also do you think it would be able to knife edge in this orientation?

here is a pic of my idea and the origonal layout
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ax73235.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	54.0 KB
ID:	640344  
Old 03-12-2007, 05:52 PM
aerowoof

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: one verticl or 2

knife edge flight depends on the lift produce from the fuselage side and where that center of lift is located.as far as the fins on the wing should be ok just remember that they only need to be 1/2 the area of the original not 1/2 the size.
Old 03-14-2007, 12:33 PM
John Sohm
My Feedback: (9)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

One point to consider is the effect the propblast has on directional stability. The propblast moves significantly faster than the normal air slipstream from forward movement, which is what the verticals on the wing will experience. I would suggest you make them a bit more than half the area of the single vertical if you want to keep it closer to the original in handling.

An historical case in point is when they cut down the rear deck on the P-51 when they switched to the bubble canopy on the D model from the caged version of the B model. That drop in cross sectional area contributed to the noticeable loss of stability and prompted North American Aircraft to add that little fillet section to the front of the horizontal stabilizer to make up for modification to the fuselage.
Old 03-16-2007, 03:20 PM
aerowoof

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

you may want to refer to the japanese ww2 fighter shinden that was a pusher canard that had the rudders mounted on the wing.they were mounted above and below.