Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Scratch Building, Aircraft Design, 3D/CAD
Reload this Page >

Where to get EPS Foam Boards? 4" Thick

Community
Search
Notices
Scratch Building, Aircraft Design, 3D/CAD If you are starting/building a project from scratch or want to discuss design, CAD or even share 3D design images this is the place. Q&A's.

Where to get EPS Foam Boards? 4" Thick

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2007, 03:01 PM
Flyn_Hawaiian
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Where to get EPS Foam Boards? 4" Thick

Hey Guys, help me out.

Where can I get 4" thick boards to wire cut?

I have not been able to find them 4" thick. the building suppliers only carry 2" thick sheets.

Thanks for the help.
Old 03-22-2007, 03:31 PM
Lou Melancon

Default RE: Where to get EPS Foam Boards? 4" Thick

Look for companies that specialize in commerical refrigeration systems. They use the thick foam or can tell you who in your area has it. I've never gotten four inch but have purchased many sheets of 3" Dow blue foam in 25lbs, 40lbs, and 60 lbs densities as well as two inch EPP. Folks who sell floating docks are the best source for big blocks of white foam.
Old 04-18-2007, 09:37 PM
Flyn_Hawaiian
My Feedback: (4)

I found a great place.

http://www.foambymail.com/closedcell.html

Got 4" one pound EPS, $62.99 including shipping.
Old 04-19-2007, 02:11 AM
zjurgen

Not EPS, but many other kinds of foams used for aircraft composite construction

[link]http://www.aircraftspruce.com/menus/cm/foam.html[/link]
Old 04-19-2007, 07:20 AM
TOMMYSTA
My Feedback: (15)

I've special ordered 4" and 6" white eps foam from building supply stores...not the Home Depot/Lowe's type...but rather a specific building supply store like United Building Center. The only drawback is I had to buy it in bundles. I had to buy five 4x8 sheets of the 4" foam and three 4x8 sheets of the 6" foam so i had enough to last me a LONG time!!!

Tom
Old 04-21-2007, 07:23 AM
Tony Hallo

Received 50 Likes on 48 Posts

Here's a company that manufactures foam to any size you many need, shipping may be a problem but they will cut to your exact size needs. Be sure to specify 1# virgin grade foam, many of the sheets used for insulation have reground beads that produce hard spots.

[link]http://www.opcodirect.com/index.html[/link]
Old 04-21-2007, 09:32 AM
CoosBayLumber
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Back a few years ago, I used to get very irregular thickness foam from the Mercury outboard dealership. Seems they used to ship those new 100-200 H.P. engines in huge single foam and cardboard containers. The dealer though it a nuisannce, so threw the huge foam into the dumpster before mounting that engine to the transom of a new boat. I just would visit them early in morning to get a couple before an employee got to them and broke into smaller sections. Seems the folks at the dump don't like em' either for they take up space, and don't deteriorate fast. Then if windy, blow and blow all over the place. I used to cut into slabs with the table saw out in the yard, for they threw up a big poof of white once the blade touched it.

The boat dealer soon retired, but one of the last batches were of some more dense material. As many or all boat motors were getting to be made in Asia, this latter foam may be a part of their new trend. Also this newer foam does not sand down or shape as easy as the older stuff. It is fuel proof/resistant though.

It's free if you know who to visit.

Wm.