Community
Search
Notices
Scratch Building, Aircraft Design, 3D/CAD If you are starting/building a project from scratch or want to discuss design, CAD or even share 3D design images this is the place. Q&A's.

CA shelf life

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2007, 07:09 AM
Edwin
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default CA shelf life

I threw away two bottles last night. Only used a little bit then they sat for about 6 months or so. I normally dont use ca in the building process. Only on small electric which I dont do often or repairs that dont require strength. So I dont use a lot. But I like to keep some around so I dont have to wait and go to the LHS the next day. Is there any way of getting a longer shelf life? What about a dorm fridge? This stuff is too expensive to just chunk like that.
Edwin
Old 04-17-2007, 08:28 AM
Dsegal

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: CA shelf life

I keep un-needed CA bottles in a capped glass jar in the refrigerator. For use I remove the jar and let it sit for an hour or so before opening the lid to avoid condensation on the CA bottle.
Old 04-17-2007, 09:27 AM
LesUyeda
Banned

In the beginning, when the stuff came out as Eastman 910, we used it at General Dynamics, Astronautics, in the Atlas program. The bottles were kept in the freezer along with the dry ice. No special anything else. I buy mine in the 4 oz size, keep those in the freezer, and refill the bench bottles out of the ones from the freezer. I am currently using some thin that is at least a year old.

Les
Old 04-17-2007, 10:21 AM
Rodney

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Keeping it dry is more important than keeping it cool. If you keep it in the refrigerator, let it come up to room temperature before using it or the condensation will quickly ruin the remaining contents of the bottle.
Old 04-17-2007, 10:39 AM
Edwin

I remember the old Eastman 910 days. We used it too at Texas Instruments. Some guys in the day shift would leave a surprise for us as a joke. So some of us glued his small tool box to the floor. I heard it took the tile up too when they got it off.
Edwin
Old 04-17-2007, 11:05 AM
dfalcon
My Feedback: (76)

You know those little packets of silica gel? I think they're sometimes in beef jerky packets, and I've seen them in other places. Any time I find one, I take it and throw it in my adhesives storage container to help keep it dry inside.
Old 04-17-2007, 11:30 AM
Edwin

That sounds like a good idea. Its been pretty wet here lately. Maybe the moisture got in through the caps. I've since started using uncut caps to store them with. The cut caps go into a jar with a lid of acetone to keep it clean. Been doing that for a few weeks now and is saving some aggrivation.
Edwin
Old 04-18-2007, 11:22 PM
SoCal GliderGuider

Get a large plastic jar full of mixed nuts. Eat the nuts. Go to the crafts store and get some of the fine grain silica gel crystals for drying flowers. Clean the jar, put about a half inch of the crystals in the bottom, put your open and capped bottles of CA into the jar and somewhat into the gel. Put the lid back on and sit the jar on a shelf in your work room. I have three open bottles that have been in such a jar with the crystals and I can still take out the thick or the thin and use it. Flows just like a new bottle.