Community
Search
Notices
Scratch Building, Aircraft Design, 3D/CAD If you are starting/building a project from scratch or want to discuss design, CAD or even share 3D design images this is the place. Q&A's.

QF-86E (Gus Morfis Plans)

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2007, 10:56 PM
Mustang Fever
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default QF-86E (Gus Morfis Plans)

While waiting for a new carb for the QF-4N, I needed something for rainy days.

Dug out my old copy of Gus' F-86, and enlarged it to 115%. Power will be an Astro 020 with an 8 cell NiMh (1050). Aileron, elevator and throttle, hand launched.

These little birds build so quickly. I started cutting last night, and finished all the fuse formers today. I'll start framing tomorrow.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Zx72561.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	15.0 KB
ID:	674361   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zu66637.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	24.3 KB
ID:	674362   Click image for larger version

Name:	Di11203.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	109.1 KB
ID:	674363  
Old 04-29-2007, 10:52 AM
CoosBayLumber
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: QF-86E (Gus Morfis Plans)

I would think by now the Astro to be obsolete.

You could easily do D.F. with one of the asian manufactured designs, plus small batteries now available.

I seem to remember that wasn't it Don from H.O.B. who bought up much of the original plans by Gus (in hopes of producing them too). There a couple decades ago, for a while they did not live too far apart.

Wm.
Old 04-29-2007, 11:21 AM
Mustang Fever
My Feedback: (2)

Default RE: QF-86E (Gus Morfis Plans)

Wm.

I'm sure you're right about the DF option. Thing is, I already have a pair of 020s with their ESCs and the 8 cell batteries. (I scrapped out an ancient Jim Ryan P-38 that was getting really battered.) That Lightning weighed over 50oz and didn't have a bunch of wing area. The pair of 020s would practically yank it out of my hands, and it flew real well and looked good in the air.

Astro is still selling the 020, although I don't know how many, and there latest offerings reflect the performance with either NiCad or LiPo. This design was intended for a Speed 400, and an 020 drops into the same hole, produces about twice the power, weighs less, and uses less amperage.

This project is "not going to cost me anything". (Maybe a couple cans of spray paint.) I have everything on hand. I'd love to try DF with LiPo batteries, but the cost is prohibitive, for me, anyway. I'm also a bit suspicious about the safety issues. I don't think everything has been exposed at this point, and I won't buy any LiPos until it's all out in the open.

turnkeyrc.com is where you can find the kits and plans that Gus sold. Don't know if these are the ones you refer to or not. Probably.

The stuff you can still buy directly from Gus is at: http://www.rccombat.com/sections/man...its_morfis.htm

Here's a couple pics of the progress. I use 1/4 triangle balsa CA'd to each former to aid in getting them upright and pinning them down. This fuse is typical Gus, built upside down with the tops cut off most of them. The closeup shows the angle gauge, also CA'd on, to set the downthrust on F1.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Pn35745.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	125.0 KB
ID:	674597   Click image for larger version

Name:	Je10586.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	128.9 KB
ID:	674598  
Old 03-06-2021, 10:40 AM
mjbelton

Default F-86A Plan

I'm adding to this rather late, but it may be of use to someone doing a search. Gus Morfis had an F-86A Sabre plan published in the November 1997 issue of Scale R/C Modeler magazine for the enjoyment of the readers. This is a reduced size plan, but shows all the details for anyone to scale up as needed. Enjoy.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
F-86A_Sabre_Gus_Morfis.pdf (1.47 MB, 49 views)