Community
Search
Notices
Scratch Building, Aircraft Design, 3D/CAD If you are starting/building a project from scratch or want to discuss design, CAD or even share 3D design images this is the place. Q&A's.

New project -- "Belle 30"

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2007, 10:21 AM
BWooster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New project -- "Belle 30"

What do you think?

Stats:

Wing: 45 in span, 400 sq inches
Power: Saito .30
Weight: 48 ozs (estimated final)

The cowl and wndscreen were homemade vacuum formed from scrap pet-g. My daughters think its funny that the cowl was pulled from scrap Barbie packaging.

It will be covered with medium silkspan, and dope, and finished in white with Miami Blue trim. The name will be in large 'Brush Script' letters across the wings.

Today I'm planning on calling it the Belle .30, but I change the name every day or so. So any ideas would be welcome.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Xv65546.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	60.6 KB
ID:	674564   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xs59273.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	52.2 KB
ID:	674565  
Old 04-29-2007, 06:04 PM
build light

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: New project -- "Belle 30"

Very nice work! Great looking plane too!

Robert
Old 04-29-2007, 06:40 PM
TLH101
My Feedback: (90)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Looks pretty good, but I seen 2 things that may cause you problems. These may be just the angles of the pics, but it appears that the front of the fuse is fairly long, in relation to the rear. This will cause balance issues. Also the landing gear appear to be too far rearward, which can cause nose-overs. The axles should be nearly even with L/E of the wing when the model is level.
Old 04-30-2007, 02:03 AM
BMatthews

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

I have to agree that from the pics the landing gear looks like it may be a little too far back.... unless you fly off pavement. The realities of grass field operations often require a more forward position. But a more proper position that is a little more rearward actually allows for takeoff tracking that is less exciting. The fact that your model is casually sitting tail down indicates that it's fine for pavement at least.

That's a fine looking design. It's got a little sport in it and a little Golden Age racer in it and a whole lotta fun by the looks of it.
Old 04-30-2007, 07:34 AM
BWooster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the comments.

The nose is too long. So I mounted all the radio gear rearward, but I'll still have to add tailweight. I just lost perspective a little from staring at the plans too much. The Saito is such a long and heavy motor.

I think the gear will be okay with lots of elevator authority, even off grass. But if not, I'll bend up some new ones with more rake. Too far forward and its prone to ground loop, and it just doesn't track or look right.

I was actually going for a "Golden Age" look, so it's good you saw it in the design.