Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Scratch Building, Aircraft Design, 3D/CAD
Reload this Page >

filling the gaps, or, good looks are everything

Community
Search
Notices
Scratch Building, Aircraft Design, 3D/CAD If you are starting/building a project from scratch or want to discuss design, CAD or even share 3D design images this is the place. Q&A's.

filling the gaps, or, good looks are everything

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2003, 05:54 PM
elcomadreja2

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default filling the gaps, or, good looks are everything

I'm getting near completing my first wings. The only real place where it falls short is on the TE. It'll probably wrap fine but...
the ribs taper town to the TE, which both above and below the TE is coverd in 1/32 sheet balsa. all my top LE fit in such a way that there are gaps between then and the rib. (meaning the notch on the rib was cut too far). I filled these in with some scrap...no probs there.
The actuall problem:
some of my ribs have devloped a "dip" in this spot where i think i sanded them down a bit too much. anything I can do about this?
--thx
Old 02-28-2003, 08:19 PM
747drvr
My Feedback: (5)

Add more material and resand.
Old 02-28-2003, 11:37 PM
BMatthews

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Look for lightweight wall filler. You'll know you found the right stuff because the tub will feel empty. Red Devil is one brand. There's lots of others including the very expensive Model Magic. MM is in many hobby shops. The other stuff is from the building supply places.
Old 03-01-2003, 02:02 AM
Bish Wheeler

As 747driver said, just add more material and sand to shape. The way you do it is to make a "sister" rib. In other words, select a piece of balsa of the same thickness as the original rib, glue it along side of the original rib and sand to shape. You don't need to make the whole rib, just the top where you over sanded. It's really easy, happens all the time.

Bish