Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Scratch Building, Aircraft Design, 3D/CAD
Reload this Page >

Scratch Building Tech Help on cutting

Community
Search
Notices
Scratch Building, Aircraft Design, 3D/CAD If you are starting/building a project from scratch or want to discuss design, CAD or even share 3D design images this is the place. Q&A's.

Scratch Building Tech Help on cutting

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2003, 04:30 AM
HotDogger
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Scratch Building Tech Help on cutting

I am working on a Don Smith FW190 Scratch building.

The Problem is I am Cutting the parts Myself. Now I have done this about 18 times over the past 12 years the only difference is

I am now using Tracing paper and spraying the paper with 3M 77, Well The parts are turning out PERFECT. The problem is after I peal off the Tracing paper The 3m 77 is still on the Ply, Balsa.

HOW DO YOU GUYS GET THIS OFF ? Any Help would be nice.

Thanks

Hey or a better Ideal all together would be considered.
Old 03-02-2003, 05:08 AM
ProfLooney

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default glue on ply

Hot Dogger theres a trick and that is to sprau the paper not the wood then wave the paper in the air a second til its tacky and not wet then put on the paper on the wood and when you peel it off it wont be on the wood.

To answer your question abt removal Why Worry about it? it will be inside the plane anyway and wont hurt it. If you really wanna get it off try acetone or laquer thinner.

Joe
Old 03-02-2003, 07:48 AM
BMatthews

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts
Default Re: glue on ply

Originally posted by ProfLooney
...Why Worry about it? it will be inside the plane anyway and wont hurt it. .....Joe
It would be a problem if he wanted to glue anything to that surface.

The instructions on the can also suggest the same idea of letting the glue dry slightly if the bond is only meant to be temporary. The fumes are not good for you though so I hope you're using this stuff outdoors.

Another option is Post It glue stick. This goes on like the regular glue stick for paper but if you let it dry for a few minutes on it's own first. The template can then be used over again for many parts as long as the Post It glue isn't contaminated by too much dust. And there's no over spray.
Old 03-02-2003, 04:18 PM
billf

Default Re: Scratch Building Tech Help on cutting

Originally posted by HotDogger
I am working on a Don Smith FW190 Scratch building.

I am now using Tracing paper and spraying the paper with 3M 77,

HOW DO YOU GUYS GET THIS OFF ? Any Help would be nice.

Dear "Hot..."

Try an aromatic solvent: Xylene, Xylol. Even some of the chlorinated solvents are good too. All are available at local hardware stores.

Bill
Old 03-02-2003, 04:48 PM
HotDogger

Thanks Everyone . I will try to get the solvents, I didn't want to leave the 3M 77 on as I was afraid the glue wouldn't stick.
Old 03-02-2003, 07:54 PM
BMatthews

USE THIS STUFF OUTDOORS. And wear Nitrile gloves.

Those solvents are hellish on your skin and the fumes aren't good for the rest of you.

I thought I heard a few years back that the X... solvents were carcinogenic. Or perhaps it was one of the ingredients and it was changed. Either way everything I've ever seen about paints that used this series of solvents called for serious filter masking or fresh air supply helmets.

And lets not forget that these are seriously flammable too.....
Old 03-02-2003, 11:19 PM
billf

Originally posted by BMatthews
USE THIS STUFF OUTDOORS. And wear Nitrile gloves.

Those solvents are hellish on your skin and the fumes aren't good for the rest of you.

I thought I heard a few years back that the X... solvents were carcinogenic. Or perhaps it was one of the ingredients and it was changed. Either way everything I've ever seen about paints that used this series of solvents called for serious filter masking or fresh air supply helmets.

And lets not forget that these are seriously flammable too.....
Bruce:

Good Advice!!
I usually dampen a paper towel and rub off the 3M 77 from the wood. You are partially correct about carcinogen effect. It is benzene that is the bad actor--particularly for liver damage. However the xylenes have two extra methyl groups on the benzene ring, which permits the body to metabolize the material.
But, as you say, good protection is a good idea. However, I don't use gloves or a mask for the small amount used to clean up adhesives.

Bill
Old 03-03-2003, 12:12 AM
BMatthews

We can get away with a lot when it's in small amounts and the use is spread over time.

However anyone that's at all sensitive to eczema (sp?) should know that the ability of these solvents to strip the skin's natural oils in a flash can lead to breakouts from use.

I don't suffer from many skin ailments but I did get a case of solvent induced eczema a few times when tissue covering a couple of models at one go. Rubbing in the dope thinner through the damped tissue to stick it to the frames did it for me.

Bill, sounds like you really know your chemistry. I think I'll keep useing the gloves for anything other than water though. Hey, even Varsol parts cleaner has an effect after a number of years.

Just like there's something that builds up if you handle gasoline over time I understand.
Old 03-05-2003, 12:54 AM
cajungent38

Just make an extra piece and don't use the template, a little extra wood, but much faster and no worry's.
Old 03-05-2003, 01:52 AM
sw1241

3m makes a trim cement remover and tar remover in a automotive application that will do good, also a company called kent industries markets something called acrasol (spelling may be not right)
Old 03-06-2003, 01:00 PM
Edwin
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I use the tracing paper and 3m77 proceedure all the time. Yes, the wood is a little tacky afterwards, but by the time I get around to using it most of the tackiness is gone. As for affecting the glue bond, never seen a problem in I dont know how many years. I use only a light dusting of 3m77. Its enough to hold the paper on during cutting and sanding. Just dont spray alot, that can make the paper hard to get off anyway (I remember the first time well). I wouldnt worry about it.
Edwin
Old 03-16-2003, 01:30 AM
AmishWarlord
My Feedback: (5)

I used 3M artist adhesives on my last one. This stuff is great! You don't have to be as careful with just misting it on as you do the 3M 77 stuff. I sticks just enough to stand up to cutting out the part then it easily peels off leaving no sticky residue on the wood. Can tip dosen't clog like the 77 either! "Ideal for mounting newspapers or other delicate papers."
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	63226_17427.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	62.1 KB
ID:	37021  
Old 03-16-2003, 03:21 AM
susquach

Hot dogger,

a solution to the glue problem is to use a cheaper ( lesser quality) glue. I use duro for the reasons you've expressed. The stuff holds just long enough to do the job, then cleans-up easily with thinner. Don't know how toxic it is, as I don't have a can on hand, but would venture a guess that it's far less troublesome than 77. The Duro will clean with mineral spirits.
Old 03-17-2003, 04:55 AM
CafeenMan

Just spray the pattern and let it dry to slightly beyond the tacky stage. They peel right off and don't leave any residue behind. I've used several different brands of spray glue and haven't had a problem. Like the man said, don't spray the wood.

Also, if you clean the dust off the wood before putting the pattern down it will stick better when the glue isn't as sticky if you know what I mean.
Old 03-17-2003, 06:49 AM
Couch-pilot

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I use the stuff that Amishwarlord uses, or any "poster hang"
spray on adhesive. Another thing that works good is rubber cement.