Community
Search
Notices
Scratch Building, Aircraft Design, 3D/CAD If you are starting/building a project from scratch or want to discuss design, CAD or even share 3D design images this is the place. Q&A's.

Best way to kit a design

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2007, 05:15 PM
JarHead

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best way to kit a design

Is there a company that currently exists that provides the means for an individual to take a design and have it kitted? Do they also help with branding and distribution?

I'm wondering what is the best way to go about doing runs of 25, 50 or 100 at a time. What is the best way to approach having a design turned into a kit?
Old 06-18-2007, 09:38 AM
CoosBayLumber
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Best way to kit a design

I do model plans for first time or small time kit distributors. Doing one at present time for newby in your area. Unless a big time manufacturer knows of you and your work personally, you then got near zero chance of selling off your interest. Thus to create the quantity as mentioned, you have to go it alone. Perhaps there are a few others here who can let you get some exposure for your products, but otherwise you are entering an arena.

One thing I told the guy from your area, was do not expect to get into production for a good six months. He thought that Hooey. He began everything at end of December, and is today obtaining bids on how to manufacture certain parts economically. Should have began in March, not today. May be a good product and possibly a good seller, but has not been devoting enough time to overall project.

Wm.
Old 06-18-2007, 07:49 PM
JarHead

Thanks for the info....I have access to a CNC laser shop for $40 / hour and had some ideas on how to go it alone, I just wondered if the kit industry is like the independent music scene where there are small studios and labels too. I just want to make small quantities of high quality kits and try to at least break even on my production costs...

Semper Fi.

- Ryan
Old 06-18-2007, 08:50 PM
BMatthews

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Lots of small companies have come and gone and you can do it too. Many of them produced lovely products but the owner/operator/slave labour (typically the same person) burned out after a while and it became just a lot of work and no fun. But if you've got the energy then there's no reason you can't have a go at it on your own.

Assuming you have a design that you think will be the next Lazy Bee or Taurus or whatever then have a go at getting the laser cutting done and figure out a way to make up the wire parts. If it was me I'd consider making it a "short kit" of just the very basics and leave it to the builder to supply engine mounts, spinners, tank, wheels, horns and stuff like that. It would HUGELY reduce your supply and purchasing woes. Good plans and a well written instruction book with lots of pictures is a must of course.

I also think that you'll find that a "run" of 25 to 100 kits would be laughed at by a big company but for a cottage industry this would be just right. You may want to start with talking to the cutter or a secondary wood supplier about some sort of guarantee of wood grade and quality since that will make or break your kit right off the bat. It may cost you a bit more but that would be balanced by some sort of quantity discount I would imagine.
Old 06-18-2007, 10:37 PM
JarHead

Thanks for the reply. I wonder how many people out there now are thinking the same thing about wishing to do a small run of kits.
Old 06-19-2007, 01:19 AM
Mike Connor
My Feedback: (5)

ORIGINAL: JarHead

Thanks for the reply. I wonder how many people out there now are thinking the same thing about wishing to do a small run of kits.
Probably quite a few but most do not follow through. I am building the prototype of my design and thought as a hobby I could sell a few kits if there is an interest in them. I am doing everything myself except for the laser cutting I had done. Keeping the cost down to be competitive and still make a profit is not easy, especially if you are paying someone else to do part of the work for you.
Old 06-19-2007, 08:41 AM
vicman
My Feedback: (10)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Look up Ptulmer here in RCU he has a site sporting his designs and short kits. I have built three of his kits and have been satisfied with the burning. He only offers a short kit like was suggested above, I think that is sound advice.
Old 06-19-2007, 09:28 AM
JarHead

Thanks for the replies....
Old 06-20-2007, 03:09 PM
daven
My Feedback: (1)

Jarhead,

I was in a similar position a few years ago, and was referred to John Marian at Northeast Aerodynamics

http://www.ne-aero.com/

He took my hand drawn plans and converted them to Cad, and then cut and shipped kits to me (in smaller lots 10-20) for several years. His prices were very fair and competitive. He has some samples of his work on his site, including the plans he did for me. I have sold about 500 kits since I started this project, but have turned over the distribution to www.supertrc.com
They specialize in racing planes, so they probably wouldnt' be interested in distributing whatever you are looking at doing.

Semper Fi Leather Neck!