Community
Search
Notices
Scratch Building, Aircraft Design, 3D/CAD If you are starting/building a project from scratch or want to discuss design, CAD or even share 3D design images this is the place. Q&A's.

Glider engine??

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2003, 12:02 AM
kouger-RCU

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Glider engine??

Electric Glider – need help
I have built a glider from scratch – my own design. This is a first for me.
I made the wings out of foam, sheeted with balsa. The body is also made out of foam and covered with fiberglass. The wingspan is 110” and the body is 45”.
The total weight of the glider is 3.4lbs without a motor and battery. The only thing installed is the receiver and 4 servos.
My problem is that I am not sure as to what kind of motor I would need to get this thing off the ground. I did hand launch test to see if it would in fact glide and actually to my surprise, did very well.
I would appreciate any help regarding what size motor and what kind I would need to get this bird off the ground to reach thermals.
You can e-mail me at [email protected]
Thanks in advance.

One last thing, is it worth trying to lighten up the wings by cutting holes in them?? They are foam with carbon strips down the length of each panel. Perhaps this would lighten up the total weight of the bird?
Old 03-05-2003, 12:16 AM
JimTrainor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Glider engine??

I recommend downloadng the MotoCalc demo and running an analysis. It is really simply, you just have to enter some info about your plane and it will suggest motor/gearbox/battery combos that will work.

http://www.motocalc.com
Old 03-06-2003, 12:15 AM
Jim Finn
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Glider engine??

The best way to design any electric model airplane including gliders is to first choose the power plant and battery size. Then see if you can build your plane light enough to suit it. The weight of this equipment should be no more than 1/2 the all up weight. The suggestion to use Motocalc is right on the money. It has the answers for you. When you do it notice the wing loading espically for a glider! The greatest weight savings is made in the size of the flight pack and radio equipment.
Old 03-06-2003, 06:01 AM
BMatthews

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts
Default Glider engine??

What about just using it as a pure glider and save the electric option for the next "superlight" version?

But I also go along with the Motocalc thing. Even though I've never used it myself I've seen some pretty nice analysis from it in other people's posts.

BTW, I suspect you'd get better feedback for this in the Gliders section. Let me know if you'd like it moved.