Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Scratch Building, Aircraft Design, 3D/CAD
Reload this Page >

So I built this plane when I was a teenager...

Community
Search
Notices
Scratch Building, Aircraft Design, 3D/CAD If you are starting/building a project from scratch or want to discuss design, CAD or even share 3D design images this is the place. Q&A's.

So I built this plane when I was a teenager...

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2007, 12:12 AM
teookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default So I built this plane when I was a teenager...

What do you think? Very poor picture quality because I just scanned (with my crappy scanner) some photos I had lying around. This plane is currently sitting on a shelf in my parents basement. I plan to fix it up (it's got major hanger rash) after I'm done with my [link=http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_5531029/mpage_1/key_/tm.htm]Cessna build.[/link]

It is a 25% Laser 200, built from plans I ordered from RCM. I don't remember which month or year it was, but there was a picture of this plane on the cover and I thought it looked cool so I ordered the plans. $12 if I remember correctly. I spent virtually all my money on it during high school, and it took me a good 2 years to get it built.

It is (was, actually) powered by a OS .91 FX, 72" wing span with foam core wings, and built up fuse and emp. A fella in the local club was nice enough to let me use his foam cutter to cut the cores.

When I finally finished it I was still getting the hang of flying my AeroStar 40. Yea, this Laser 200 was my second plane. [sm=drowning.gif] I had some guys at the club fly it for me. It was fast. Way faster than my AeroStar. They would take off and then hand the controls over to me. I would very timidly fly large circles and figure eights. It was nerve racking. I still have never landed it.

One day at the field something happened to it in the air. I don't think I'll ever know for sure if it was shot down, had a radio 'glitch', or if something came unplugged, but it ended up nose diving straight into the ground. My heart sunk. I was in a complete daze while I hunted for it in the tall grass. I was really surprised when I found it to see that most of the impact energy had been absorbed by just cleanly breaking off the portion of the fuse forward of the wing LE. I had two pieces of Laser now, everything wings back, and everything wings forward.

It did not stay in two pieces long, as I fixed it up just as fast as I could. It is now stronger, and has a redundant battery system. After it was fixed I took it flying once or twice and then put it on a shelf. It's been there ever since (about 7 years).

Here are some photos:

I've got a picture of the finished product somewhere that I need to dig up. I still think it's a sweet plane, but it will take a lot of work to make it airworthy again.
Old 07-15-2007, 03:34 AM
longdan

Default RE: So I built this plane when I was a teenager...

Maybe it wouldn't have crashed if it had some covering on the tail surfaces
But seriously, It looks like a really nice plane and it a waste to leave it sitting on a shelf. I think it's great when someone turns up at the field with something they have built themselves rather than an ARF that everyone else (myself included) seems to be flying.
Old 07-15-2007, 11:17 AM
teookie

Actually, thats one reason that I want to fix this plane up. Then I will have three airworthy planes; two kits and a scratch built. NO ARFS.

I found a (small) picture of the finished model.

Old 07-18-2007, 12:06 PM
FlyerInOKC
My Feedback: (6)

Received 272 Likes on 237 Posts

ARF? I thought that was something Little Orphan Annie's dog said?!