Community
Search
Notices
Scratch Building, Aircraft Design, 3D/CAD If you are starting/building a project from scratch or want to discuss design, CAD or even share 3D design images this is the place. Q&A's.

Wing length vs. fuselage.

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2007, 11:49 AM
Fastsky

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wing length vs. fuselage.

Hi all, I built a plane from plans and somehow screwed up the wing. I don't have time to rebuild and have the plane flying this summer so I ordered a wing kit. Its for a 4* 60 because I found out that the chord and wing thickness matches my fuselage. The fuselage is 47" and the wing is 71" long. I am wondering if this is going to be a problem because I checked and most planes with this wing area have fuselages that are about 10" longer?!? The plane is a RCM Rapier from RCM plans. Should I shorten the wing, and if so by how much?? BTW, I made the plane a tail dragger because they handle better on our clubs grass field. I have included a pic of the original plane. Any suggestions appreciated.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Rp44077.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	467.0 KB
ID:	739450  
Old 08-10-2007, 02:10 PM
Tall Paul

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Wing length vs. fuselage.

Don't do a thing!
Put the c.g. at 30% of the wing chord, and fly it.
There are no hard-and-fast rules for anything in model aviation, other than having the c.g. in a good location, and no warps in the surface.
Old 08-10-2007, 02:22 PM
Fastsky

Hi Paul, I think your right. I did some calculating and I think it will be fine the way it is. It may be floaty but the only way to find out is fly it and see.
Old 08-10-2007, 02:44 PM
BMatthews

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

It'll be fine as long as the wing area isn't a huge amount larger than the original wing. If it's no more than around 1.25 as much then it'll do fine.
Old 08-10-2007, 06:16 PM
aerowoof

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

genrally the perchantage of fuselage length to wingspan is 75% so you are pretty close so no problem.
Old 08-10-2007, 06:18 PM
Fastsky

Well, its actually its more like 1.47. I am going from 620 sq. in. to 920 sq. in. I realize that the flight characteristics will be completely different but as long as its safely controllable, thats all I care for now. [8D]
Old 08-10-2007, 08:43 PM
Fastsky

Update, I just found a Boeing P26 Peashooter ARf with a 71" wing and a fuselage length of 51". Thats not too far off so I will give it a go when the wing comes in.