Community
Search
Notices
Scratch Building, Aircraft Design, 3D/CAD If you are starting/building a project from scratch or want to discuss design, CAD or even share 3D design images this is the place. Q&A's.

Free CAD Programs

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2007, 09:41 AM
daven
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Free CAD Programs

If you google FREE CAD, about 100 links pop up for free CAD software.

Is anyone aware of a FREE CAD Program that is relatively easy to use and worth the price ?

I know there is no such thing as a free lunch, but I'm just looking for something completey basic that is user friendly, and can save a DWG file that I can send to a laser cutter.

Old 09-04-2007, 01:04 PM
BMatthews

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts
Default RE: Free CAD Programs

I went looking for one a couple of years back and most of them were either garbage or time limited demos.

The best bang for the buck has got to be recent but non current versions of TurboCAD. You can find Version 9 to 11 on ebay for typically under $25 landed in your hot little hand. And it's not like these are trimmed down versions either. They'll handle most any file format you need to work with and support tiled printing as well as various paper options.

One thing though. Do NOT get the "Designer" version. Those are seriously cutdown/watered down versions. Stick to the Deluxe offerings. There's a Pro version as well but unless you want to get into the full on 3D rendering and stuff you don't need them. The Deluxe versions fully support 3D draughting but don't have quite as nice rendering options.
Old 09-04-2007, 01:40 PM
daven

Exactly what I looking for Bruce.

I checked EBAY and there are many available.

I found some posts on another RC forum about TurboCad 2d being available for free, but it looks like that is over, and its only a 14 day trial now.
Old 09-04-2007, 08:59 PM
daven

Bruce,

It took a LOT of looking today, but I was able to find a website that had the TurboCad LE version on it for download.

I downloaded it, but have no idea where to start.

Any ideas?
Old 09-04-2007, 09:38 PM
BMatthews

The CAD hints sticky thread at the top of this forum's listings? Check on my Baker's Dozen hints for TurboCAD. I think it's post # 13 or some other lucky number.

The LE is fine for an intro but it's very dated and limited in handling imports of images for tracing over and output in various optional formats. Carry through with the Ebay deal, you won't be dissapointed.

I suggest you start with something dead simple like a little all balsa chuckie glider. YOu're just after a shape for now but it helps if you're actually trying to accomplish something rather than just blindly making junk.
Old 09-04-2007, 10:42 PM
feihu

Dave:
I got the TurboCad LE about 2 years ago and it included a Tutorial. Went carefully thru the tutorial 2x and then I was off drawing and occassionally refering back to the tutorial.
If you don't have the tutorial, I can see if I can send you a copy.
feihu
Old 09-04-2007, 10:43 PM
feihu

Dave:
I got the TurboCad LE about 2 years ago and it included a Tutorial. Went carefully thru the tutorial 2x and then I was off drawing and occassionally refering back to the tutorial.
If you don't have the tutorial, I can see if I can send you a copy.
feihu
Old 09-05-2007, 06:27 AM
daven

Yeah, the program I was able to find, did not include the tutorial. I searched for about an hour last night for it, and was not able to locate it.

If you could email it to me at [email protected] I would greatly appreciate it.

I'd like to buzz through that a couple times and do a little experimenting. If I like what I see, I'll get a newer version off EBAY. I am going to work on a basic design Bruce, another Q500 type plane.

Thanks,
Old 09-05-2007, 02:24 PM
dreadnaut
My Feedback: (5)

I downloaded something called DeltaCAD a while back. Seemed to work ok, and was offered as ''shareware''.
Old 09-05-2007, 03:51 PM
tri-pacer

Dave,

Depending how serious you are about drafting, there's another route you can take: Go to your local Jr. college and take a CAD class. AutoCAD offers real cheap student versions of their software for people who do, and allot of colleges sell very discounted versions of it as well. Being that you live in Milwaukee, you probably have your choice of colleges. Something to consider.

By the way, I too learned on TurboCAD!

Chuck
Old 09-05-2007, 06:02 PM
daven

Chuck,

I live in Milwaukee now, but am moving back to the Minneapolis area at the end of the month. I definately am going to try and take a course in CAD when I get back, but wanted to mess with TC for a bit while I have the free time over here.

Thanks,
Old 09-05-2007, 07:15 PM
SKYHI1

Hello,

I could use some direction. I just want to be able to download and print some of the free plans available on the web. Can anyone suggest which software to buy?

Thank you
Frank
Old 09-06-2007, 01:00 AM
BMatthews

ORIGINAL: SKYHI1

Hello,

I could use some direction. I just want to be able to download and print some of the free plans available on the web. Can anyone suggest which software to buy?

Thank you
Frank

Again, I would recomend any of the non-current versions of TurboCAD since I know that they support tile printing.
Old 09-06-2007, 02:28 PM
dreadnaut
My Feedback: (5)

ORIGINAL: SKYHI1

Hello,

Thank you
Frank
Any CAD program that can open a .DXF file, and most do will, is what you want. .DWG is the AutoCAD format, and many free plans, are available in this form. Not all budget CAD programs will open them. As long as the free plans you download are DXF, you should be OK.

Pay attention to the plot Dialog. You want the plans to print accuratly at a 1:1 scale. All CAD programs should be able to do this, you just have to insure it is set up right.
Old 09-06-2007, 03:05 PM
SKYHI1

Thank you for your guidance, I appreciate it.

Best
Frank