Community
Search
Notices
Scratch Building, Aircraft Design, 3D/CAD If you are starting/building a project from scratch or want to discuss design, CAD or even share 3D design images this is the place. Q&A's.

Auto Cad Help

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2003, 09:56 PM
filtr-RCU

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Auto Cad Help

Hi Folks

I have some cad file drawn up and would like to get them to show up in a 3D format. How do I make this happen.

ron
Old 03-18-2003, 10:22 PM
Highflight
My Feedback: (4)

Default Auto Cad Help

Your going to have actually draw the entities that make up your design in 3D. The only exception to that is if you drew your design in ISOMETRIC to start with, but that's still just a 2D view made to emulate a 3D viewpoint.

The only way to take an X-Y drawing and make it 3D is by modifying it with 3D commands such as EXTRUDE and REVSURF to name only two out of the dozens of 3D commands.
That's what the Z axis is for.

Or am I misunderstanding the question?

Highflight
Old 03-18-2003, 10:39 PM
filtr-RCU

Default Auto Cad Help

Hi Highflight

That is what I am after. But I was wondering if there is a convertor out there.

Ron
Old 03-19-2003, 03:21 PM
Highflight
My Feedback: (4)

Default Auto Cad Help

Unfortunately, you're trying to create something from nothing.
You cannot arrive at a true 3D object without representing (by defining them in the drawing) the full relationships between all three axis' (X, Y, AND Z) for all of the individual entities that make up your design.

For example, if you did something as basic as to EXTRUDE your 2D entity, it would simply end up as a 3D shape with the same outline, but with thickness. Think of it as a "Profile" model where you cut out a fuselage shape on your bandsaw out of 1/2" balsa. You end up with the desired outline shape, but it's simply 1/2" thick throughout.
EXTRUDE is probably the simplest 3D command to execute but it's only the beginning of drawing a true 3D object

I would suggest that you dig into the 3D tutorial of whatever CAD program you are using and follow through in whatever order the tutorial offers.
You will very quickly better understand that you can't get to where you want to go from where you're at.

Before you can go any further, you are going to need to acquire a more thorough understanding of how CAD works, both 2D and 3D.
You may then understand why I universally suggest to all new CAD users that, for designing model aircraft and drawing plans from which to build, they should forget about 3D altogether. There is no such things as "3D plans" from which you can build an aircraft.
ALL of the parts you need to build an airplane are defined by 2D design parameters.

Highflight
Old 03-19-2003, 05:55 PM
Tall Paul

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Auto Cad Help

Probably the least painful method to 3D is thru RcCad..
You still have to add the 3rd dimension details, but it can work from a 2D image..
And it's inexpensive.
AutoCad is waaaaaaaaaaay expensive, for a hobby..
http://www.rccad.com/
This is the Gossamer Condor done in RcCad..
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	64148_25376.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	19.6 KB
ID:	39229  
Old 03-19-2003, 10:23 PM
filtr-RCU

Default Auto Cad Help

Hi Tall

I was wondering if the industry will be able to cut parts on a laser cutter with this program.

Ron
Old 03-20-2003, 01:16 AM
Tall Paul

Default Auto Cad Help

RcCad doesn't output .dxf unfortunately.
It is somewhat limited for details like parts.
But it is a good introduction to 3D.
AutoCad, TurboCad and IntelliCad are better for drawing up parts for CNC stuff, but the 3D learning curve is STEEP!
And not of any particular use for plans which need only be 2D..
3D is nice for instructional views, such as this one, done in AutoCAD.

Name:	64229_25376.gif
Views:	13
Size:	38.8 KB
ID:	39230  
Old 03-20-2003, 03:37 AM
BMatthews

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts
Default Auto Cad Help

............ anti- "anorexia" spars???????

BWHAHAHAHAHAhahahaha....ha...haha..........ha..... ...ha.........*cough*......

That's a good one. You won't see that one in any aerodynamics texts I'll wager. I'm just glad I didn't have a mouthful of dinner when I saw that

Filtr, if it helps any you need to understand that on your 2D drawing the part here is represented by a line over there. There's just nothing available to tell the program that this part is that line but rotated to fit vertically.

In 2D we draw parts and construction guides. In 3D you actually form and build the model in virtual space using 3 dimensions.

Hope that helps.
Old 03-20-2003, 07:12 AM
Tall Paul

Default Auto Cad Help

Originally posted by BMatthews

... In 3D you actually form and build the model in virtual space using 3 dimensions.

Hope that helps.
And when rotating the drawing, it's amazing how many of the points so carefully placed are really over in Bakersfield, instead of where they looked like they were going in the original view!
Old 03-21-2003, 02:18 AM
katipo
My Feedback: (3)

Default Auto Cad Help

Hi Ron

I am in the middle of a new pattern plane project, which is my first using the computer and software and not a good old pencil and paper.
Although it's been a step learning curve it sure helps me visualize the end result.
What is it that you need to design/build?
I did my wings using Profili and all in 2D and my fuse plug in 3D using Rhino. The fuse plug is due to be CNC milled in two weeks time because the guy is so busy (and a modeler so the price should be a bit closer to earth.)
I have attached a pick of the plane modeled in 3D.
Ignore the colors, they are just meant to show the components. The blue is the canopy, the orange the belly-pan and the yellow the fuse.

Cheers
Katipo

Name:	64489_24084.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	62.7 KB
ID:	39231  
Old 03-22-2003, 06:06 AM
William Robison

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Auto Cad Help

GrnBrt;

The "Anti-anorexia" spars got me, too. And "Geodesic" sex appeal?

Good one, Tall Paul.

Bill.
Old 03-25-2003, 10:02 PM
filtr-RCU

Default Auto Cad Help

Hi Folks

I just got back from business trip. I was wanting to mold some landing gear and wheel pants for a kit.

Katipo the plane is looking real good. what did you use.

Ron
Old 03-25-2003, 11:35 PM
katipo

Default Auto Cad Help

Hi Ron

After messing about with auto cad and others I ended up with Rhino.
The CNC guys also use it and said that they normally don't have any problems with the files or the .iges files it produces.
But like with most software there is lots to learn and I have only just started.
Cheers
Katipo
Old 03-27-2003, 06:12 PM
gongshow

Default Auto Cad Help

AutoCAD is fine if you want to spend a lot of time drawing something in 3D. What if you want to make a change? With AutoCAD it is painfully hard. SolidWorks is by far your best option for 3D modelling. You can make changes easily (because the model is live!), export 2D drawings for your workbench plans and it has good .dxf and .iges support if your lucky enough to have acces to a laser cutter. Sure, its expensive, but with some "creative" searching on the internet, you can find it for pretty cheap.
Old 03-28-2003, 12:59 AM
reaaz

Default advanced 3d cad

creating & designing somthing with the aid of c.a.d. is quite a tedious process & is only worth it if u plan to use it create a mold etc for mass prodution. it is also mainly needed for free form compound curve designs. here is a pic of a plane that i am working on for the purpose of mass producing. this took about 25hrs of pure cad time to produce.
& this is still a draft design anyway
so only if u have a existing plane that u want to kit in fiberglass, thus laser scan the fuse & reverse engineer the cad form. leave it alone.

but however despite that if u got the software & the time its still quite a nice challenge.

anybody interested in my design by the way?

Name:	66219_27890.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	34.1 KB
ID:	39232  
Old 03-28-2003, 01:08 AM
William Robison

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Auto Cad Help

reaaz:

Doesn't look bad, reminds me of Rutan's design for Beech (Raytheon) named "Starship."

But personally, I don't care for planes that fly "Backwards." Haw.

Bill.
Old 03-28-2003, 05:10 PM
ptxman
My Feedback: (2)

Default Auto Cad Help

Originally posted by katipo
I did my wings using Profili and all in 2D and my fuse plug in 3D using Rhino. The fuse plug is due to be CNC milled in two weeks time because the guy is so busy (and a modeler so the price should be a bit closer to earth.) Cheers Katipo
Katipo has the tools figured out 100% IMO. I wish I had Rhino when I designed my PTX Vector. It is an excellent 3D modeling package & as mentioned, exports to CNC. Its a little weak in the hardcopy printing dept compared to autocad but thats not really their focus. Rhino is also not cheap but it is excellent bang for the buck considering the tools, import/export support etc. Once you make the 3D jump, 2D looks like the stone ages.

Profili is also excellent value when it comes to airfoil generation (and analysis). How can you go wrong at 10$U or whatever it is.

Katipo, Keep up the good work & please post some pics of your progress. My pattern days are behind me (sniff) but I am working on some cool stuff. To be continued....

Name:	66352_12174.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	30.1 KB
ID:	39233