Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Scratch Building, Aircraft Design, 3D/CAD
Reload this Page >

Which CAD prog if u had about $99 to spend?

Notices
Scratch Building, Aircraft Design, 3D/CAD If you are starting/building a project from scratch or want to discuss design, CAD or even share 3D design images this is the place. Q&A's.

Which CAD prog if u had about $99 to spend?

Old 09-06-2007, 02:24 PM
funkworks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Which CAD prog if u had about $99 to spend?

Hey guys. I'm looking to update after using the same application for about 10 years now. I've been using DesignCAD 97 and then DesignCAD 3D Max. Its done well for me, but I know there is other stuff out there. Ive heard many people mention TurboCAD so I went ahead and downloaded a 15 day trial version of TurboCAD Deluxe 14. Eventhough it feels much different and a little confusing, it looks to be more powerful with more features than what I am using now. It looks like it goes for about $99 but Ive seen some places selling it for $85.

What do you guys think? Is there anything else out there worth looking at??

Rene
Old 09-06-2007, 02:43 PM
BMatthews

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts
Default RE: Which CAD prog if u had about $99 to spend?

Unless you're in need of the latest 3D tools you can buy the recent but outdated versions of TurboCAD for around $25 off ebay. Once you register you'll get regular offers to upgrade from IMSI for good prices.

Learn on the cheapie and if you find yourself doing a lot of 3D stuff then upgrade. Mind you Version 11 or more already has great 3D support.
Old 09-07-2007, 08:49 AM
funkworks

Bruce you were off by just a hair... I just logged on to eBay and bought TurboCAD Deluxe v 12 for $25.01 still sealed new in the box...haha! You are the man! I'll take my girlfriend out to eat and buy fuel with the rest of the money I planned to spend. Thanks again!!
Old 09-10-2007, 04:42 PM
Stratotanker
My Feedback: (3)

WWW.DeltaCAD.com, super easy to use!
Old 09-11-2007, 11:25 AM
funkworks

Thanks Stratotanker.. You're right. Looks pretty simple to use. Perfect for someone getting started in CAD. However, Im looking for something more powerful and with more advanced features than what im using now that will handle 3D stuff easily too. I went with TurboCAD and I can't wait for it to show up in the mail.
Old 09-18-2007, 03:49 PM
TLH101
My Feedback: (90)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: funkworks

Thanks Stratotanker.. You're right. Looks pretty simple to use. Perfect for someone getting started in CAD. However, Im looking for something more powerful and with more advanced features than what im using now that will handle 3D stuff easily too. I went with TurboCAD and I can't wait for it to show up in the mail.
So did you get your CAD program yet? How is working out. I am looking for program for a "first timer".
Do you think the TurboCAD 12 Designer will be enough, or too much? I see lots of them on E-bay for "cheap".
Old 09-18-2007, 05:36 PM
sharpshooter223

a good starting cad is the deltacad trial
Old 09-19-2007, 06:09 AM
2boys

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Software done right should last about 10 years. I got Turbocad 11.2 off ebay for $14.99, heck it was only released a couple of years ago. I have tried the others, none stands up like Turbocad for the money.
Old 09-19-2007, 09:58 AM
funkworks

yup...got it and am pretty happy so far. I have the deluxe version so Im not sure how it compares to designer... DeltaCAD looks pretty simple to use but I would go ahead and just give TurboCAD a shot. You can download a trial version of their version 14 and will help give you a general feel of the application. Version 12 is similar. DeltaCAD didnt seem to have some of the tools that I used most. I think it would be great for doing very basic stuff like simple 2d floorplans, etc. TurboCAD v12 was the best $25.01 i've spent so far on eBay.
Old 09-19-2007, 11:48 AM
ROOSTERLEW

ORIGINAL: 2boys

Software done right should last about 10 years...
That would all depend on the software, I picked up the update for my cad-cam software yesterday. It is about $15k worth, it is updated yearly, sp's throughout the year, and they still cannot keep up with technology.

but for modeling, not neccassary!
Old 09-19-2007, 12:13 PM
Ron S
My Feedback: (2)

Received 205 Likes on 125 Posts

I've been very happy with Turbocad. I currently have version 9.5 loaded up. I typically will consider upgrading when I start a new project. The 2D stuff works very well for me, although I use 3D initially for basic layout work, and cross section definition. It's not the best lofting tool in the world (with the version I have - I currently have not attempted to create machinable complex geometry for NC), but I'm sure the software improves as the versions are updated. I do a lot of cad stuff at work, and don't want/need that level of power. I need something I can jump onto a few times a month, updating my design and drawings, without having to pay with an arm and a leg. Here is a pic of my latest finished project. Scale = 1/7.5, L=~95".
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ig11880.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	69.5 KB
ID:	766062  
Old 10-16-2007, 01:41 PM
cuoremia

i have many 8.5x11 3 views of military aircraft. I'd like to scan into a program, and resize them keeping as close to real scale as possible. i've seen designcad,turbocad14 and deltacad applications,which is recommended and is the process i described scan,rresize using a scale factor logical. I'm a retired aeronautical engineer, who started in the slide rule era, and finshed in the cad era. I'v never used cad but i'm extremely good at drafting.
Old 10-16-2007, 03:02 PM
BMatthews

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

The Designer version is hamstrung in terms of the file formats it will allow you to work with. I'd far more recomend an older Deluxe over a current Designer version of TurboCAD.