Community
Search
Notices
Scratch Building, Aircraft Design, 3D/CAD If you are starting/building a project from scratch or want to discuss design, CAD or even share 3D design images this is the place. Q&A's.

Wheel Pants Attachment ?

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2007, 07:44 PM
KitBuilder

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Wheel Pants Attachment ?

While waiting for some parts to arrive... I was playing with creating wheelpants for my four star .40. I have one built but before shaping, etc... what is the best way to attache to dural type gear. The gear that came with the kit has a hole for the axle and two smaller ones for wheelpants. I have not used wheel pants before so what is the best way to strengthen the side that will attach to the gear (glass the pant itself)... and how to attach (small bolts/nuts)?

The pant is a balsa block core slightly larger than the width of the wheel wih additional balsa sheets for the outer side and lite ply for the inner (plane) side. I assumed the inner side would need add'l strength since it will bre attached.

Mike
Old 09-11-2007, 05:11 PM
Campy
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: Wheel Pants Attachment ?

CA or epoxy a 1/8" piece of lite ply to the inside of the pants so the screws can go through the LG and have something to "bite into".

SIG and Sullivan also make wheelpant brackets that clamp onto the axle.

They work fairly well provided you gring a flat spot for the SIG units or use a couple of drops of epoxy for the Sullivan units to make them more secure on the axle.
Old 09-11-2007, 09:53 PM
KitBuilder

Default RE: Wheel Pants Attachment ?

Thanks.... just what's needed.

I like the sig best.. seems most straight forward:
http://sigmfg.com/cgi-bin/dpsmart.ex...FV4.html?E+Sig

Mike