Community
Search
Notices
Scratch Building, Aircraft Design, 3D/CAD If you are starting/building a project from scratch or want to discuss design, CAD or even share 3D design images this is the place. Q&A's.

Balsa Wood Quality

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2007, 12:45 PM
Mike Connor
My Feedback: (5)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Balsa Wood Quality

I have been buying my wood from Balsa USA for two months now with no complaints on the quality until my last shipment. Most was good but there were a couple of pieces that were not straight. I attached a pic of one 1 1/2" x 3/8" x 36" aileron stock that when put on a flat surface I could roll a pen under the other end. I sent them an email last Friday but have not heard back from them yet. That concerns me. I spend over $100 a month with them since I sell kits.

Is it normal to get an occasional bad piece of wood and I should overlook it?
I know it can't all be perfect but I can't put this wood this bad in my kit.
I have tried LoneStar and Balsa USA. Is there anywhere else I should look for good price and quality?

Thanks
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ca82105.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	18.4 KB
ID:	761131   Click image for larger version

Name:	Dz80699.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	13.7 KB
ID:	761132  
Old 09-11-2007, 01:37 PM
Dr1Driver

Default RE: Balsa Wood Quality

Mike,

That's pretty bad, but is to be expected. The balsa tree (a hardwood, despite the softness of it) is a slow-growing tree and has a LOT of internal stresses. When cut, the straightest piece can warp, twist, or bend badly, as you've seen. Although most balsa suppliers try to give us good wood, unless you're paying them to hand-pick it, the occasional bad piece will slip through. You could try Sig or Midwest, but it's the same story there, and more expensive.

I'd overlook it unless it becomes a habit and it's more than just one piece.

BTW, thanks for putting GOOD wood in your kits, us builders really appreciate that.

Dr.1
Old 09-11-2007, 02:14 PM
TLH101
My Feedback: (90)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have given up every supplier but, Lone Star. I get a bad piece on occasion, but they are always willing to make it right, with out hassle or delay.
Old 09-11-2007, 04:19 PM
Mike Connor

Dr.1,
If I used Sig balsa my $69.95 kit would be $109.99. I was a the LHS today and inspected their Sig aileron stock and feel maybe I shouldn't complain.

Terry,
LoneStar is great to work with and I get it overnight when ordering because they are close. if it was balsa for me personally I would stay with them but Balsa USA (usually) has consistent quality and looks that works well in my kit. LoneStar usually gives you a little extra length but the cut would have to be cleaned up before going in one of my kits. My last shipment from LS also had some contest balsa mixed in that I have no use for in key areas.

I would have felt better if Balsa USA would have responded to my email and said something.
Old 09-12-2007, 06:02 AM
Dr1Driver

Mike,

Yea, Sig and Midwest are both pretty pricy. I wish the LHSs would order from and stock their wood bins from a place like Lone Star or BUSA. I've sat on the floor of my LHS and gone through the whole bin of wood to find a piece I could use. Maybe I'm too picky, but it's a structural thing. And crooked wood builds crooked planes.

It's bad that BUSA didn't reply to your complaint, especially if you order as much as you say you do. I'd consider changing suppliers for that reason alone.

You'll probably get the occasional bad piece from any bulk supplier.

Dr.1
Old 09-12-2007, 06:22 AM
yel914

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not only is the quality of the balsa less than optimum at times, so is the quality of the employees running stock through the machinery. From my own personal experience I'd say some wood workers just don't care to take the time to make straight stock.
Old 09-12-2007, 07:47 AM
TFF

The best balsa is used for ship floatation in tankers; we are a small user so we get the scraps. I dont know how BUSA started but they are in a ship building community; it is also how it became to be used; Zaic brothers worked in the NY ship yards. I have a hard time with sheeting the most. At least you care for your customers.
Old 09-12-2007, 09:45 AM
CoosBayLumber
My Feedback: (1)

You haven't bought balsa "AT chance" until you dealt with older store for Superior. I got a boatload from them years ago, and on occasion the slab wood whistles from all the holes under the vacuum table.

It is my understanding that balsa is yet to take another hike about October. The took one four months ago, well here is another one.

What annoys me is that certain vendors mark their wood as being..... when it is not. Most often it is labeled as being 3/32 thick but is shy of that mark by several thousandths. It may be 37 by 3 1/4 overall, but if it is not thick enough, then it becomes useless. Also watch out for there seems to be some stocking problems betweeen 1/4 and 3/16 inch. You order one size and get the other. They look similar at a distance.

I do not got through $100 per month, but about every 2 to 2 1/2 months I do.

Wm.
Old 09-12-2007, 10:02 AM
Mike Connor

It sounds like BUSA may be about as good as it gets considering price and quality so I will quit complaining. I will place my next order by phone and bring it to their attention and see what happens. Maybe my real complaint should be them not responding to my email. While I guarantee responses in 24 hours, it is usually much less then that. It is part of doing business on the Internet.
Old 09-12-2007, 04:50 PM
daven

Balsa USA and LoneStar have been the best for me, and yes, you do get occasional bad pieces. I normally set it aside and find a use for it on a personal project at some point. It would have been nice if they had acknowledged your email, sometimes it is just better making a phone call.
Old 09-13-2007, 07:05 PM
Jim Messer
My Feedback: (2)

Several years ago I made many 1/4 scale kits. I tried all the users mentioned here. Best balsa by far came from Solarbo in Miami. FL.
Old 09-17-2007, 08:08 PM
Mike Connor

It took 10 days to get a reply but here it is if anyone is interested. It seems that is is normal that anyone can pay for a piece of wood that they can not use and that is the way the world turns.

my response from Balsa USA
-----

"Hi Mike: I am sorry it has taken so long to get back to you however we happen to be in Rhinebeck and I am just now catching up on emails. We apologize for the problem you are having with the aileron stock, but this is not unusual. Once the wood is cut and cut to shape with the moisture in house and after it leaves here will cause this. We find this more often than not. So in essence I guess I am telling you that 4 pieces can come from the same log and end up 3 can end up with a warp and than happens after it leaves here and unfortunately there is nothing to be done. Winter weather does help though."
Old 09-18-2007, 07:17 AM
Dr1Driver

Mike,

IMO, the excuse that "I'm in Rhinebeck" is pi$$ poor. BUSA is large enough that they should be able to respond to a complaint within 48 hours.

"Ooooo, I love to dance a little sidestep...." His explanation of warpage in balsa is correct. However, I feel he should have at least offered to replace the piece. Geez, BUSA, it's only a few cents to you, and I think you might have just lost much more than that in goodwill and future orders from the rest of us.

Dr.1
Old 09-18-2007, 11:09 AM
Mike Connor

Yea, you would think that they would turn on "out of office reply" if they were going to be out of pocket for days. Their wood usually looks good and is warp free so it will be hard for me to change. I could give LoneStar another shot since they are so good to work with but I remember rough looking cuts on most of the wood. It usually was over length but it is a lot of work to clean up the cuts for kit appearance when there is a lot of volume.
Old 09-18-2007, 03:55 PM
Dr1Driver

Mike,

Have you tried Superior?

Dr.1
Old 09-18-2007, 04:27 PM
Mike Connor

ORIGINAL: Dr1Driver

Mike,

Have you tried Superior?

Dr.1
A search indicates they may no longer be in business. Do you have a link?
Old 09-18-2007, 04:55 PM
fritzke

Lone Star:
http://www.lonestar-models.com/
Solarbo
http://www.solarbo.peachhost.com/
BUSA
https://www.balsastore.com/store/categories.php?cat=27
Richmond
http://www.richmondrc.com/vma/storec..._vma_balsa.htm
Tower
http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...SM&C=RCA&V=TOW

Towers price for 1/16x3x36 is the lowest, and I have ordered balsa from Tower as a "filler" to hit
those magical discount totals and it looks to be good stuff. But I think the short answer is, you will get
good stuff and bad stuff from any supplier. Find one that ships a bigger percentage of the good stuff!

Dave
Old 09-18-2007, 07:54 PM
CoosBayLumber

I work quite often with another (unnamed) kit supplier. He got a message from a supplier about one week ago to expect another price increase about end of October. To stave off this, he ordered about $3000 worth in one shipment.

I also got message here on Friday from Lou of Lone-Star that will not be able to full orders for 48 or 60 inch stock. They can only supply 36 and shorter lengths until end of October.

Wm.
Old 09-18-2007, 09:17 PM
Dr1Driver

I did, Mike, but I'm not on my home computer right now. If they don't show up on a NET search, I guess they're gone. []

Dr.1
Old 09-20-2007, 07:55 AM
DaddySam
My Feedback: (9)

ORIGINAL: Mike Connor

It took 10 days to get a reply but here it is if anyone is interested. It seems that is is normal that anyone can pay for a piece of wood that they can not use and that is the way the world turns.

my response from Balsa USA
-----

"Hi Mike: I am sorry it has taken so long to get back to you however we happen to be in Rhinebeck and I am just now catching up on emails. We apologize for the problem you are having with the aileron stock, but this is not unusual. Once the wood is cut and cut to shape with the moisture in house and after it leaves here will cause this. We find this more often than not. So in essence I guess I am telling you that 4 pieces can come from the same log and end up 3 can end up with a warp and than happens after it leaves here and unfortunately there is nothing to be done. Winter weather does help though."
I like BUSA's quality and their glue. I've never had a problem with an order, although I know that problems like this do arise. I just got an order from Lonestar, and emailed them to mention that I thought their quality of sheeting was below par, and some sticks they sent were not the size I ordered. Here is their reply, within 2 days time:

"I WAS SORRY TO HEAR YOU WERE NOT HAPPY WITH YOUR ORDER. I WILL BE SENDING
OUT THE 3/32X3X42 AND THE 1/8.3/8.18 STICKS
LOU"
Old 09-20-2007, 11:18 AM
Dr1Driver

"I WAS SORRY TO HEAR YOU WERE NOT HAPPY WITH YOUR ORDER. I WILL BE SENDING
OUT THE 3/32X3X42 AND THE 1/8.3/8.18 STICKS
LOU"

Now THAT'S good customer service, with no excuses.

Dr.1
Old 09-20-2007, 03:21 PM
FokkerAce

Not to but into a balsabashing...
but, there were 4 [at least] people from Balsa USA at Rhinebeck. 9/7-9. That could be the whole house.
I think they drove, because the trailer was there. That would mean they were probably busy with the weekend trip from 9/4 to 9/12.
I'd cut them a little slack.
You can soak the stock, pin it straight, and let it dry.
#1 question is missing from this thread:
Did you ask them to replace it?

FA[8D]
Old 09-20-2007, 03:34 PM
Dr1Driver

there were 4 [at least] people from Balsa USA at Rhinebeck. 9/7-9. That could be the whole house.
Then they shouldn't have sent that many.

Did you ask them to replace it?

He shouldn't have had to ask them.

Dr.1
Old 09-20-2007, 04:35 PM
Mike Connor

Below is a copy of the actual email I sent them. No, I did not request a replacement but the obvious is that I paid for and received merchandise I could not use because of quality. Most of their wood is good and I do not plan on changing vendors because of this one incident. But it would have been nice, like LoneStar did, if they offered to replace it or give me credit on my next order. Warp is the nature of wood but there has to be point where it is unacceptable.

I was not angry or upset in my first post but was just looking for information and I have found that. If I was to critique Balsa USA I would suggest that unusable merchandise be replaced at no charge. It is also my opinion that an Internet business should never be out of pocket for more then one business day through any communication they advertise. Ten days is beyond ridiculas. At the very least they could use phone mail and email out of office reply. As a part time business and a one man show I use these as my minimum standards.

---
Hi,
Most of the wood I get from you is great but my last shipment had a couple of pieces that had enough warp that I would hate to put it in my kit that I sell. Attached are two pics of the warp on a 3/8" x 1 1/2" x 36" aileron stock. When put on a flat surface there was a 3/8" gap at the other end. Did this slip by quality control or can I expect this some times?
Thanks,
Michael Connor
Cust # 31813
---
Old 09-20-2007, 08:08 PM
FokkerAce

My point was that I thought they [BUSA] just away that weekend on a big trip.
I would also be unhappy with that much of a warp, but I'd think that BUSA or any reputable business
would make it right, given half a chance. Mike, I hope you get it worked out with them.

FA[8D]

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.