Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Scratch Building, Aircraft Design, 3D/CAD
Reload this Page >

Um yeah, about that Falcon .25 plan...

Community
Search
Notices
Scratch Building, Aircraft Design, 3D/CAD If you are starting/building a project from scratch or want to discuss design, CAD or even share 3D design images this is the place. Q&A's.

Um yeah, about that Falcon .25 plan...

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2007, 02:53 PM
2boys

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Um yeah, about that Falcon .25 plan...

I was trying to print out the falcon 25 that floats about freely across the web and made a unique discovery. I had a very difficult time getting it to match up to 8.5x14 paper, well in an acceptable size for a .25 anyway. So I went back and checked the properties of certain measurements like the wing span for example. The WS is roughly 1198 inches or about 100 feet long or 3 Cessna's wide. Even the drawing sheet size in Tcad was 840 in x 1188 in.

I have fiddled with it and calculated the drawing sheet size to be pretty good at 30x50 with a ratio of 1:28. Of course I didn't have a ruler at the office where I am now but when I get a chance I'm going to sit down and do a few basic measurements and see what I get.

Also noteworthy of mentioning is the lack of dihedral on this 90 foot wide craft which makes it a little intemidating to the beginner such as my more than eager 5 year old. None the less I am slightly over joyed by what appears to be straight forward simple and cheap construction which I'm fairly confident I'll need after the 1st crash, then 2nd then the 3rd then the 4th... an so on.

If you have any input, boy would I love to hear it right about now.
Old 09-30-2007, 04:24 PM
longdan

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Um yeah, about that Falcon .25 plan...

Sounds like you have a clash of imperial/metric units. I think that the wingspan is supposed to be 1198 mm which is just over 47 inches.
If you scale it down by 0.0397, you will get inches.
Old 09-30-2007, 06:31 PM
draftman1

yeah that plane might be a little much for a 5 yr old, since you know how to fly it will be ok with you landing and taking off. I have a large format plotter and I could print it off for you. postage would be about 8 bucks. like I said before I had a plane very simular and it was pretty fast for that style. easy to build, let me know
Old 10-01-2007, 03:25 AM
2boys

Yeap, and I was thinking of adding some dihedral of 2-3 inches under each wing might be good. This is where I lost my warm fuzzy feeling over this plane because it had none, as well as missing info.
Old 10-01-2007, 08:23 AM
draftman1

thats the problem with alot of these free plans. very little or no information. this plan is probly one of the best for a free type plan. you end up building the plane the way you want. good luck. I will probably start mine in next couple of weeks. I made it a forty size, aprox 70" w.s. i mite make the wing a little more symetrical. it will be my second plane, but I flew symetrical wing 20 yrs ago. Im just gona start back into it with a trainer to re-learn for myself and my boys to learn on. aerostar almost done, engine broken in and radio be here tomorrow. can't wait
Old 10-01-2007, 03:33 PM
2boys

I kinda agree on the plan and I stated a few days ago or more I just didn't get a warm fuzzy feeling from it. Zero dihedral id fine for me but the boy is all over the map with the simulator right now. I put him on a sim at our LHS which was the first time he handled the sticks. he can take off just fine but he's not real sure what to do next.

On a lighter note I found a Guy Fuller Cessna 150 with a dihedral/constant cord wing, which if you recall Cessnas taper down about half way out. It's currently a 40 trainer but I bet Tcad can fix that for me. Initial print out was done at 1:1.1 then I realized I'm not quite doing close to a .25 size plane. So tomorrow before my partner comes in I'll try to print another at maybe 1:1.3 or 5.