Community
Search
Notices
Scratch Building, Aircraft Design, 3D/CAD If you are starting/building a project from scratch or want to discuss design, CAD or even share 3D design images this is the place. Q&A's.

wing joints

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2007, 08:33 AM
andersqf

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default wing joints

I have bought drawings for a Cessna AgWagon crop duster plane. My problem is that the wing is in one part. What I would like is to remove the wings one by one. The wing has short stubs with 0 degrees dihedral with the main part of the wing at 6 degrees dihedral. I would like to put a joint between the stub and the main part of the wing.

Does anybody have a good idea about how to do this? The wing has a bracing strut so there will not be much bending forces at the joint.

Tanks for any answer
Anders
Old 10-14-2007, 10:31 AM
Baldeagle
My Feedback: (7)

Default RE: wing joints

If I read you right , the wing is like an AT6. flat in the middle and outer wing pannels has diheaderal. What is the wingspan? Rich
Old 10-14-2007, 11:28 AM
andersqf

Yes, there are flat stumps 5" long and the outer wing panels are 32", in all the span is 82". The chord at the joint is 10 1/2" and the wing is 1 13/32" thick.
Old 10-14-2007, 01:05 PM
Baldeagle
My Feedback: (7)

What I have done is drill a hole in all of the center sections ribs near the main spar for a 3/4 or 7/8 wing tube close to the top of the rib. about 1/4 from the top of the rib. With a forsner bit. Taking in account for the dihedrial mark the outer wing pannels drill those ribs out too. I will enlarge the holes for the dihedral. you will have a sloppy fit. don't worry. Now cut out 1/16 th or 1/8 ply that will fit the pannel ribes. Drill them the same size as the other holes.
After the wing center section and outer pannels are built, block up the wing to get the dihedrial you want place the tube in the center holes of the wing, put the wing tube socket in the outter pannels with the 1/16 ply sub ribs in between each rib. Once you are satisfied with the fit and diheaderal glue the sub ribs to the rib. and glue the tube socket to the ply sub ribs. When building the center section put the wing tube in the center section as you build, but don't glue it to the ribs. You may wan't to put the tube sockets in the center section and have the alluminum tube in the outer pannels. I hope this makes sence. It is actually pretty easy to do. Rich