Community
Search
Notices
Scratch Building, Aircraft Design, 3D/CAD If you are starting/building a project from scratch or want to discuss design, CAD or even share 3D design images this is the place. Q&A's.

Laminating foam core wings

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2003, 05:43 PM
mikehannah

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Laminating foam core wings

Hi Folks
Looking for some advice here.
I am in the process of building a couple of foam cores for a 2 metre aerobatic plane.
My initial intention was too make the cores then to vac bag the skins on to the cores as per usual. I have never done this before but it seems straight forward enough.

After putting the Balsa skins on I was going to glass skin the balsa surface, prepare as usual and paint the final finish. ( I have a pet hate for Iron on films).

However would I end up with a better lighter stronger unit if I omitted the balsa and skinned the surface of the foam cores with a heavier weight glass cloth?

Any thoughts?

Mike
Old 03-30-2003, 04:23 AM
FLYBOY
My Feedback: (11)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Personally, I would go with the balsa and light cloth.
Old 03-31-2003, 03:33 AM
Vince
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Saw an article once where a guy was vac bagging sailplane wings. He started with a sheet of mylar that he sprayed the final color on. On top of that he layed up the lightweight glass cloth and resin. He then layed the sheeted wing on this and vac bagged it. Once the resin cured the result was a wing with the final finish alreaday there. I will try to find the link and see if it is still active.

Vince
Old 03-31-2003, 03:34 AM
Vince
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wow, that didn't take long, here is the link.

http://members.ozemail.com.au/~majali/construction.htm

Vince