Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Scratch Building, Aircraft Design, 3D/CAD
Reload this Page >

Making flaps from strip ailerons

Community
Search
Notices
Scratch Building, Aircraft Design, 3D/CAD If you are starting/building a project from scratch or want to discuss design, CAD or even share 3D design images this is the place. Q&A's.

Making flaps from strip ailerons

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2007, 12:34 PM
winglift
My Feedback: (10)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Making flaps from strip ailerons

I am building a older kit (Utter Kaos) and want to split the ailerons to make flaps. Are there any formulas or guidlines for the length of flaps/ailerons?
Old 11-04-2007, 01:39 PM
BMatthews

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts
Default RE: Making flaps from strip ailerons

You're going to find that both the flap and aileron functions will suffer from just using the original strip control width. They just are not wide enough to provide a more highly noticable flap lift and drag. I tried converting a strip aileron ARF to flaperons one time and outside of killing the aileron function when the flaps were down the speed and lift didn't change a lot at all. Total failure outside of learning about something that doesn't work.

Your best option is going to be to shorten the ribs and install a new and deeper trailing edge cap on the wing that is further up so your controls can be wider. Move it so that the control surfaces are around 15 to 20% of the chord of the wing's chord.
Old 11-04-2007, 03:09 PM
winglift
My Feedback: (10)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Making flaps from strip ailerons

ORIGINAL: BMatthews

You're going to find that both the flap and aileron functions will suffer from just using the original strip control width. They just are not wide enough to provide a more highly noticable flap lift and drag. I tried converting a strip aileron ARF to flaperons one time and outside of killing the aileron function when the flaps were down the speed and lift didn't change a lot at all. Total failure outside of learning about something that doesn't work.

Your best option is going to be to shorten the ribs and install a new and deeper trailing edge cap on the wing that is further up so your controls can be wider. Move it so that the control surfaces are around 15 to 20% of the chord of the wing's chord.
Nothing like experience for a teacher. It was an afterthought anyway, so I'll keep this filed away for another project. Thanks Bruce.