Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Scratch Building, Aircraft Design, 3D/CAD
Reload this Page >

What masking tape for painting

Community
Search
Notices
Scratch Building, Aircraft Design, 3D/CAD If you are starting/building a project from scratch or want to discuss design, CAD or even share 3D design images this is the place. Q&A's.

What masking tape for painting

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2007, 11:53 AM
crashlander
My Feedback: (10)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What masking tape for painting

[:-]
What type of masking tape or brand of masking tape is being used to mask off areas when painting the airplane?
If it makes any difference, I am spray painting using Acrylic enamel and Urethane enamel.

Thanks.

Orlando
Old 11-05-2007, 02:19 PM
Campy
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: What masking tape for painting

I normally use the 3M brand of BLUE masking tape. The one you want has a paper appearance and says "60 day safe release". On the side of the wrapper is an adhesive index. You want the 2 dot adhesive.

My experience with this tape has been:

adheres reasonably well,

DOES NOT lift even fresh, underlying paint. I use latex and I let the latex dry overnight before masking and try not to leave the tape on over 4 - 5 hours. If you are not familiar with latex, it is dry to the touch in about 30 - 45 minutes, but takes anywhere from 10 days to 30 days to "cure" (completely dry )
Old 11-05-2007, 03:51 PM
Stickbuilder

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I use 3-M fine line tape first, and then use the purple (low tack) tape to apply the masking paper. This combination eliminates bleed under, and gives you the crisp clean line that you are looking for. Fine line can be bought in several widths, but remember, the thinner the tape, the tighter curve you can make. Scallops call for 1/8" max.

Bill, AMA 4720
WACO Brotherhood #1
Old 11-05-2007, 06:05 PM
crashlander
My Feedback: (10)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the informative replies.
I have used the 3-M blue "Painters Tape" but the paint does bleed under the tape. I do not know if it is the same Campy was mentioning. I will look to see if the tape is the same, if not I will try the 2 dot blue tape.
I will also look for the fine masking tape by 3M.
I was using a green paper tape, it was very good, no paint bleed under, but adhesion was very high-difficult to remove.

Orlando

AMA 3569
Old 11-05-2007, 06:09 PM
Stickbuilder

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Crashlander,

If you can't find the fine line tape, let me know, and I will get some and send it to you. The green recycle masking paper is what you want to use, since it will not allow any bleed through, as newsprint will do. Also newsprint can transfer the ink if you are not careful. I'm just up the road in Leesburg. You can get the fine line tape at Graves Hobbies on 441 out by Lee Road. Theirs is red instead of blue, but it is the same stuff.

Bill, AMA 4720
WACO Brotherhood #1
Old 11-05-2007, 10:43 PM
Campy
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The easy way to stop bleed under is to give the edges of the tape a coat of the same color paint as the base coat OR a coat of flat clear dope. That seals the edges of the tape.
Old 11-06-2007, 02:58 PM
OldScaleGuy
My Feedback: (2)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

The red and blue fine line tapes are typically a flex type vinyl tape with a more agressive adhesive than the green 3M fine line tape. It depends on what you are doing. For straight lines the 3M fine line works great. The flex mask is good for curves. A coat of base color paint on top of the masking before the trim color can leave a high "paint fence" that is not a good condition either.