Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Scratch Building, Aircraft Design, 3D/CAD
Reload this Page >

drive shaft for a .45 engine...anyone..?

Community
Search
Notices
Scratch Building, Aircraft Design, 3D/CAD If you are starting/building a project from scratch or want to discuss design, CAD or even share 3D design images this is the place. Q&A's.

drive shaft for a .45 engine...anyone..?

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2007, 05:43 PM
canardlover

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Default drive shaft for a .45 engine...anyone..?

Howdy, several years ago I built a canard with a mid mounted Rossi.45 engine and a drive shaft to the pusher prop. Unfortunately the plane crashed before I was able to evaluate the drive shaft (see lousy b/w pics)
Now I would like to try the concept once more but before commencing I seek good input because drive shafts are NOT trivial.
A search on this forum came up with the following thread....

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_34...tm.htm#3432920

....but I wonder if there is more experience out there to gain....Thanks in advance...Cheers/Harald
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Qn38184.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	53.3 KB
ID:	801617   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sq47344.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	87.4 KB
ID:	801618  
Old 11-13-2007, 12:27 AM
OzMo
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: drive shaft for a .45 engine...anyone..?

Well I haven't seen any done that way . I suspect because even the tiniest propeller imbalance would be exponential
ly transfered to the plane. possibly a gear box set up would work tomove the motor forward or just rear mount the motor and balance with battery all the way forward???
Old 11-13-2007, 10:49 AM
canardlover

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Default RE: drive shaft for a .45 engine...anyone..?

OzMo, thanks for your reply and suggestions though I do not see why propeller imbalance would be any worse in this case. And why exponential..?
The main reason I would like to test the drive shaft concept again is because it puts the weight where it belongs - both engine and fuel close together at the C.G. - thus minizing turning forces when manuvering - e.g. spinning - the aircraft. Like in a sailing boat, the ends of the ship should be kept light...!
I know it is a bit unusual with drive shafts but that´s also an interesting challenge.........Cheers/Harald