Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Scratch Building, Aircraft Design, 3D/CAD
Reload this Page >

to FLAP or not to FLAp that is the ?

Community
Search
Notices
Scratch Building, Aircraft Design, 3D/CAD If you are starting/building a project from scratch or want to discuss design, CAD or even share 3D design images this is the place. Q&A's.

to FLAP or not to FLAp that is the ?

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2003, 10:46 PM
handyman
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default to FLAP or not to FLAp that is the ?

building a rebel high wing stright wing,35cc power 72in wing 15lb aircraft thinking about adding flaps and maybe air brakes any help would be great...................
Old 04-07-2003, 10:48 PM
CafeenMan

Why not? I love flaps. Just make sure that if you use flaperons that you don't use the full travel for your flaps or you might not have enough aileron left to turn. That's what happened to me with My Stik 30. Fortunately, I made the right decision and got it down ok, but that taught me a valuable lesson.
Old 04-08-2003, 01:40 AM
BMatthews

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

If you value your sanity stay with the flaps and ailerons being separate. I tried flaperons a few years back and can say that once they go beyond about 20 to 25 degrees deflection bad things start happening and the ailerons become useless at about 50 to 60 degrees and beyond that they are reversed. Not to mention the bad adverse yaw...

Keep them separate and you'll have a great new toy to play with.
Old 04-08-2003, 01:58 AM
CafeenMan

BMatthews - That's pretty much what I experienced. On my current project I'm going with four servos in the wing. All aileron/half flap if you know what I mean. Should be fun. I'm going to try ailervators too just for kicks.
Old 04-08-2003, 08:15 PM
fly300s

Just remember that only about 25 degs. or so help produce "more lift" and that any more flap is only used to produce drag and slow down on final. For example, don't try and tak off what 45 deg. of flap and expect a better takeoff. I know from experiance... you end up getting a higher takeoff speed and more unstability.