Scratch Building, Aircraft Design, 3D/CAD If you are starting/building a project from scratch or want to discuss design, CAD or even share 3D design images this is the place. Q&A's.

Senior Telemaster Scratch Build

Old 12-27-2007, 06:47 PM
gosk8ing

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Senior Telemaster Scratch Build

Hey all,

This is my 5th Telemaster build. I have built two Mini Telemasters and one modified Mini Telemaster which had a flat wing with ailerons and wing struts. The last Telemaster i built had a 1.8m wingspan (enlarged Mini Telemaster plans). Built light and powered by a .10 electric, it has unlimited vertical performance.

I've decided to start on my next Telemaster. The Senior Telemaster with a wingspan of 95". It's going to be powered by an OS91FX because I intend on putting floats on as well as making it capable of carrying a 500g camera.

I bought the plans as I prefer scratch building than kit.

Compared with the plans, these are the changes that I'm going to do:
- 2 piece wing
- Shear webs on wing & stab
- Wing sheeted leading edge & capped ribs
- Stab ribs capped
- Stab sheeted leading edge???
- Flaps???
- Built up fin, rudder, elevator, ailerons & flaps
- Wing root ribs made out of ply
- Stab root ribs made out of ply
- Fuselage formers #2 (located at wing le) & #3 (located at wing te) made out of ply
- Landing gear block installed at #3 former (for floats)

So far I've manufactured former #1 (firewall), #2 & #3 out of ply, along with the former #2 & #3 doublers & landing gear blocks.
The wing is going to be joined by a wing joiner which is manufactered from 2x 3mm ply laminated with balsa in the middle. Then I'll have a fwd & aft anti-rotation pins, but I'm not sure how I'm going to do them yet.

A lot of ribs for the wing, I've manufactured 24 so far. I think there's 30 all up.

It's going to be a fun build as with any Telemaster.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Pn36642.jpg
Views:	203
Size:	72.9 KB
ID:	835190   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mh20292.jpg
Views:	171
Size:	87.7 KB
ID:	835191   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sx61786.jpg
Views:	179
Size:	69.2 KB
ID:	835192   Click image for larger version

Name:	Tm30090.jpg
Views:	165
Size:	138.9 KB
ID:	835193   Click image for larger version

Name:	Oz31328.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	113.3 KB
ID:	835194   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wm84619.jpg
Views:	189
Size:	66.5 KB
ID:	835195   Click image for larger version

Name:	Np17842.jpg
Views:	153
Size:	96.5 KB
ID:	835196  
Old 12-27-2007, 10:12 PM
vmsguy

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Senior Telemaster Scratch Build

Hello,

I've been building a Senior Telemaster from scratch as well. I'm planning on electric motor for mine. Two part wing, functional wing struts. The single most significant modification, twin rudders. The wing is almost done, fuselage mostly complete, working on stabilizer and rudders now.

How are you planning on fabricating the leading edges? I'm planning on buying a router/router table to do mine.

I bought the main landing gear from TNT.. It hasn't arrived yet, probably next week.

Good luck on this.. I'll be reading/watching...

Old 12-28-2007, 02:55 AM
gosk8ing

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I want to make mine electric, but the price of motor, ESC, and battery would be about $1000AUD, and I already have an OS91FX lying aound. The annoying thing about glow, is that the foward end of the fuselage needs to be a lot stronger, and also the cleaning up . Also since I'm probably going to do floats, I wouldn't want to mix electrics and water together.

I'm going to shape my leading edges by hand from balsa sheeting, which is going to be glued to the ribs.

Please post some pics if posible.
Old 12-28-2007, 10:37 PM
vmsguy

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ORIGINAL: gosk8ing
I want to make mine electric, but the price of motor, ESC, and battery would be about $1000AUD,

[snip]
I'm going to shape my leading edges by hand from balsa sheeting, which is going to be glued to the ribs.

Please post some pics if posible.
I've got lots of pictures, not too many of them real good. The plane's so big it's hard to take a good picture, but here are a few. I bought a short kit from laserworks, and their wings are a little different. The wings and aileron are built as one unit, and later the ailerons are cut away. For the fuselage, I glued 1/4" balsa to the cheeks in front of the firewall, and 1/2" tri-stock to the back. I really doubt the firewall will go anywhere. So I wouldn't loose it, I wrote the thrust angles onto the firewall. I plan on using epoxy to fuelproof it. Even though I'm planning on electrifying it, if somebody offers me gobs of money for it, it could go glow.

I'm really curious how you build your wing LEs. That'll be interesting to watch.

Name:	Ur52155.jpg
Views:	992
Size:	86.7 KB
ID:	836144   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cy77473.jpg
Views:	188
Size:	92.4 KB
ID:	836145   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zf87725.jpg
Views:	195
Size:	74.2 KB
ID:	836146   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hb80608.jpg
Views:	187
Size:	61.0 KB
ID:	836147   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yk66903.jpg
Views:	177
Size:	65.8 KB
ID:	836148   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ev23229.jpg
Views:	199
Size:	77.7 KB
ID:	836149  
Old 12-29-2007, 07:44 PM
gosk8ing

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

This is how I'm going to my leading edges.

The first strip of balsa cut from sheeting will get glued to the front of the wing ribs, then sanded to the contour of the wing. Next I'll glue the top and bottom sheeting/caps to the ribs and the balsa strip at the front of the rib. I will then sand any overhanging sheeting/caps so that they are flush with the balsa strip that was glued to the ribs at the start. Then glue the final balsa strip to the front and shape as needed.

Hope I've explained it well.

Name:	Mk26353.gif
Views:	92
Size:	3.4 KB
ID:	836810  
Old 12-29-2007, 09:37 PM
gosk8ing

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Here are some more pics. Wings are starting to take shape as well as the hori-stab. I've added shear webs to the wing and I'm going to add the same to the hori-stab.

Name:	Bz78307.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	132.0 KB
ID:	836916   Click image for larger version

Name:	Up47803.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	125.8 KB
ID:	836917  
Old 12-30-2007, 12:32 AM
vmsguy

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Looks good so far.

Your leading edge is an interesting idea. It should work out pretty well.

Did you read the STM thread over in the electric forum? Mike Freas has done some great work with the building, and modification of his. It's in the "Glow-to-Electric" conversion forum.

I don't want to hijack your thread, so I'll only add a couple more pictures of my fuselage. You can better see the firewall installation. I have a couple more pieces of tri-stock to add around bulkhead #1. I also added 1/8" diagonal bracing on the sides and bottom of the fuselage. Hopefully I can make the tail stiffer. I can still twist it a little in my hands.

Name:	Hf99566.jpg
Views:	167
Size:	77.6 KB
ID:	837043   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pk29495.jpg
Views:	214
Size:	88.9 KB
ID:	837044  
Old 01-09-2008, 08:55 AM
Mattholew

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I would highly recommend spoilers on the wing. Or at least set it up for barn door flaps and ailerons. Thats one thing I wish I had on mine, would make landing easier and more fun.

I have the ARF, which I then cut the fuselage in half and made two piece, reshaped the tail, made taller landing gear, added wheel pants, and recovered the entire fuse and tail feathers. I have the stock strip ailerons set up as flaperons and I do not like it like this. Flaps down doesnt really slow the model at all, the only thing it does is make roll response horrible. Its actually pretty dangerous to try to come in for a landing with the flaperons deployed, and many times when faced with a cross wind, I have to quickly close flaps and power on in order to prevent a crash. The huge wing likes to get wind under it and try to turn with it.

BTW Im powering mine with a Zenoah G20, and I cant say enough good things about that neat little gas engine. I love it.
Old 01-09-2008, 03:01 PM
MikeFreas

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ORIGINAL: vmsguy

Looks good so far.

Your leading edge is an interesting idea. It should work out pretty well.

Did you read the STM thread over in the electric forum? Mike Freas has done some great work with the building, and modification of his. It's in the "Glow-to-Electric" conversion forum.

I don't want to hijack your thread, so I'll only add a couple more pictures of my fuselage. You can better see the firewall installation. I have a couple more pieces of tri-stock to add around bulkhead #1. I also added 1/8" diagonal bracing on the sides and bottom of the fuselage. Hopefully I can make the tail stiffer. I can still twist it a little in my hands.

Thanks for the kind words. I also don't want to hijack the thread but I'm going to suggest that you consider building flaps also unless you fly where you get wind on a regular basis. My second STM (first of the two ARF's) has a highly modified wing with barndoor flaps and alerions both of which work like a champ. Trying to use flaperons didn't work for me as is makes slow speed flying difficult.

*CAUTION* Unless you have a powerplant that has enough power to climb verticaly be vary careful about doing touch and goes with full power climb outs/flaps deployed! I made this mistake and stalled my STM about 20' off the deck and it was all over but the crying.

If your interested in all the modifications I have made to both the kit and ARF versions look up my name in the member list for all my posts. I have forgoten all the different threads I have started and posted to.

On a STM scratch building note I have finished building my V tail that will be grafted onto my second STM ARF.
Old 01-09-2008, 03:58 PM
khelsea

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

The original Telemaster had barndoor ailerons about 2.5 in wide and 14 inches long and flies very well with them. That would leave plenty of room for flaps. They were actually solid balsa stock, not built up! Lanny Khelsea
Old 01-09-2008, 04:42 PM
vmsguy

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I remember reading an article about the STM, can't remember where. And that article talked about barndoor ailerons as well. If memory serves, the plane was designed in Germany. Then redrawn later. The redraw is what we see in the RCM plans, and the Hobby Lobby kits.

FWIW, the RCM plans have the ailerons about 2 inches deep and 35 inches wide. Controlled by torque rods and one servo.

Old 01-11-2008, 07:07 AM
khelsea

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

woops I just went in the plane hanger and measured the ailerons on the original german 96 in telemaster I have. They measure 2.5 in by 25 in. So much for spacial relationship class. Still room for inboard flaps. FYI mine is a 1 piece wing with no struts and hard loops all day. Even survived a hard pancake into the side of a building once. woops again. Weighs 10.5 pounds on wheels and a Magnum 91 4 stroke for power. Flys on skis in the winter and floats or wheels summer. If I recline the passenger seat in my 96 Seville the body goes in uside down tail first and the wing sits in the back window and rests all the way to the windshield. Lanny and Khelsea BTW Khelsea is my passed English Setter who also is the pilot
Old 07-12-2018, 05:31 AM
Constrictor
My Feedback: (46)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

any progress?
Old 07-12-2018, 02:43 PM
Propworn
My Feedback: (3)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

The Lazy Ace fly's just like the Telemaster except its a biplane.