Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Scratch Building, Aircraft Design, 3D/CAD
Reload this Page >

Does no one make an ACCURATE Extra 300?

Community
Search
Notices
Scratch Building, Aircraft Design, 3D/CAD If you are starting/building a project from scratch or want to discuss design, CAD or even share 3D design images this is the place. Q&A's.

Does no one make an ACCURATE Extra 300?

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2008, 08:09 PM
NebulaDDS

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Does no one make an ACCURATE Extra 300?

I have yet to see an accurate R/C remake of the Extra 300L (or 330L). Dave Patrick Models is fairly close, but when you compare his plane to the real thing, there are some obvious differences in shape.

I'm wondering, is there's anyone who makes a TRULY scale model of this plane???

If not, I think I will make it my first "from-scratch" project. All I need are dimensions from Extra.
Old 01-19-2008, 09:15 PM
TFF

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Does no one make an ACCURATE Extra 300?

I think most are for IMAC and they allow the plane to be stretched for better flight. Most are not for scale.
Old 01-19-2008, 11:21 PM
NebulaDDS

When you say "stretched", I'm assuming you mean greater distance between the wing and horizontal stabilizer, correct?

If increasing the wing-stab coupling makes the plane fly better, I'm wondering why Walter Extra made the real plane so short-coupled.
Old 01-19-2008, 11:48 PM
TFF

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think wing or fuse. can be changed. They are looking for a facsimile of the real plane so it does not look like a pattern plane; NASCAR like. As for the real plane, I dont think it is short coupled, but the shorter the better snap maneuvers, longer the smoother. It is always a compromise. Just like modelers he has counter engine weight with tail length. At the airport I work at, no Extras, but there is a Staudacer and 3 Harmon Rockets and they look like pattern planes, except we fly the models too slow.
Old 01-20-2008, 02:55 PM
BMatthews

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

ORIGINAL: NebulaDDS

When you say "stretched", I'm assuming you mean greater distance between the wing and horizontal stabilizer, correct?

If increasing the wing-stab coupling makes the plane fly better, I'm wondering why Walter Extra made the real plane so short-coupled.

Different airplanes have different needs. It should not be a big surprise that a model at 1/5 to 1/3 size will have different needs to the full sized one for a variety of reasons. So the full scale Extra is optimized for the style of flying they do and the models of the Extra have been fudged to better fly the way the models are expected to fly.

Old 01-20-2008, 10:21 PM
3D Joy

Full scale planes are in the short side because it makes them lighter. I've been told that... It is not as important to have a very smooth and stable aircraft as the pilot is inside the plane and can better feel the maneuvers and correct accordingly. Been told that also.

The Great Planes 33% Extra 330L is as scale as could be in kit form. Second best in this size range would be the Comp-ARF 2.6m Extra.