Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Scratch Building, Aircraft Design, 3D/CAD
Reload this Page >

installing & aligning retracts in foam wing

Community
Search
Notices
Scratch Building, Aircraft Design, 3D/CAD If you are starting/building a project from scratch or want to discuss design, CAD or even share 3D design images this is the place. Q&A's.

installing & aligning retracts in foam wing

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2003, 01:29 PM
dlinegar

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default installing & aligning retracts in foam wing

I'm trying to figure out the best way to install a retract on FW190D9 that came with a foam wing (and fixed gear). I've got the mounting rails made, and now it's a question of aligning the whole deal.

As far as I can tell, I have 3 axis to deal with (looking at the LE of the wing):

1) Up/Down. The wing has some dihedral, but I've figured out how to ensure that both retracts will have the same angle w.r.t to the center rib.

2) Yaw left/ Right. This I've copied from my 3-view and should be not too hard to duplicate.

3) Roll fore-aft. Hard to do, I just have to ensure that both retracts have the same Roll.

My plan was to build a 3D template, where both retracts are 1 piece so that all the 3 axis are fixed. Use the jig to set the retracts rail in the wing and glue it in place... I'm just wondering if there was an easier approach...

Cheers,

-derick-
Old 04-15-2003, 02:36 PM
blvdbuzzard

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I just mounted a set in a scratch built Curare.

I mounted the rails to the retracts. Got my center lines from the center section of the wing, the leading edge, and trailing edgde. I had pencil lines showing where the mounting blocks were going in red pencil. I cut the holes in the foam for the blocks with just a long razor knife. I put lots of 30 minute epoxy all over the mounting blocks, in the holes in the foam wing. I had the retracts in the extanded position so I could hold on to the strut to position them in the wings.

I then just eye balled the struts and wheel to make sure they were straight and the both struts had the same lean. I had a square I would put up to the leading edge and measure to see how far back the struts were. They would move a little until the epoxy started to cure. I would keep checking until the epoxy got hard enough to hold them in place.

I have read other ways to do it this forum. Some were so involved that I would have never put retracts in if I had to do it the way they stated.

Right or wrong that is the way I did it.

Dru.
Old 04-15-2003, 11:32 PM
dlinegar

Dru,

I would suspect the "eyeball" effect would be simpler.. But hate to see what my expression would be if I realize too late that one of the blocks is off by "that much"....

I'm in the process of building a jig as we speak. I'll post some pics when it's ready...

Cheers,

-derick-
Old 04-16-2003, 11:26 AM
GW-inactive
My Feedback: (4)

for most individuals, you eye is a very accurate device when lining something up on a model., especially an item that does not lend itself to measuring easily.

If it looks right from the front ,side ,and rear, your usually good.