Community
Search
Notices
Scratch Building, Aircraft Design, 3D/CAD If you are starting/building a project from scratch or want to discuss design, CAD or even share 3D design images this is the place. Q&A's.

will it fly? micro r/c?

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2003, 02:30 AM
jimjacobs

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default will it fly? micro r/c?

I scratch built this boom/pod electric. It has a 35watt direct drive and 5 270mAh NiCd's. It's wing span is approx. 47" (kitchen floor tiles are 4.5" sq.). Plan to use w/ hiline feather flight pack w/ 2 HS55 micro servos... will it fly? Any suggestions before I crash it?
Thanks in advance.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	71840_30718.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	23.4 KB
ID:	43432  
Old 04-19-2003, 02:38 AM
jimjacobs

Default 2nd image of fuse

Here's the front section of the fuselage. I put a lot of down angle on the motor - and it seems nose heavy... any suggestions? Thanks.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	71839_30718.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	18.0 KB
ID:	43433  
Old 04-19-2003, 03:13 AM
BMatthews

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Certainly seems like excessive downthrust. Noseheavy is good, with that short a nose it means you built the tail super light and I would have to assume the rest is as light too.

I don't know about the 5 cell thing. If that's a 280 motor my limited reading on that size tells me that this is too few a cell count. Also a gear drive would ensure a better slow speed climb.

It'll fly but how well is the question. Have you tried one of the electric model performance prediction tools like Ecalc? I don't know where it is but I suspect there is one online or downloadable for free.
Old 04-19-2003, 04:19 AM
jimjacobs

thanks Bruce, I look around for an Ecalc but I plan on tossing this thing as soon as the winds die
Old 04-19-2003, 08:49 AM
vtol_guy

as Bmatthews said i also think you have excessive downthrust, usually a model plane doesnt really have anymore than about 5 degrees unless its an autogyro or something. i dont know a lot about micro planes but i'd get someone to look at that if i were you. Everything else seems ok though methinks
Old 04-19-2003, 04:51 PM
Scalebuff

another thing (not as imortant) but the landing gear looks to far back? the wing looks grate though
and as said above i would bump your bat bacs up a little you wont get much from a 5 cell..

good job though