Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Scratch Building, Aircraft Design, 3D/CAD
Reload this Page >

Need help, the anatomy of a wing strut

Community
Search
Notices
Scratch Building, Aircraft Design, 3D/CAD If you are starting/building a project from scratch or want to discuss design, CAD or even share 3D design images this is the place. Q&A's.

Need help, the anatomy of a wing strut

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2008, 12:22 PM
vmsguy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need help, the anatomy of a wing strut

I'm scratch building a Senior Telemaster, and I need help fabricating the wing strut.

I have never built one, I have no plans for one, nothin'. So as naive as it is sounds, what makes up a strut? Is there a metal rod in the middle? Is it wood with ends glued on? I don't have a clue.

I need ideas on all the pieces and parts and how they're all put together.

TIA

Lyndon
Old 02-12-2008, 02:10 PM
khelsea

Default RE: Need help, the anatomy of a wing strut

Lyndon, This is what I'm doing on my 1/5 scale beaver. 3/4 in aluminum airfoil strut from K&S tubing with 4/40 Dubro ball and socket pushrod ends and 4/40 rod going into 1.5 in basswood blocks JB welded and pinned in each end. 4/40 blind nuts in the wing and flat aluminum plate secured in the base of the fuse. With that combination you just remove the two 4/40 bolts and nylock nuts from the fuse mount and then the struts can lay againest the wing panels secured with rubber bands for traveling. I do have a wing tube for structural rigitity so if I lose a strut I'll have backup. Hope this helps. Lanny Khelsea
Old 02-12-2008, 03:23 PM
John 38

Like Lanny, I used aluminium struts for appearance and put 1/4 sq hardwood up the middle for bending strength. bags of strength in tension ( normal load mode )
At ends , I grooved the wood first and tied/epoxied threaded wire onto wood with a small right angled turn of the wire to key into wood. The threads fitted quicklinks which I could snap onto small anchors on the Fuz and the wings. Also handy for getting length right !! heavy quicklinks with fuel tubing slipped over them to stop links opening up.
The model was a 105" precedent Aeronca Champion and the aluminium wing joiners were just about strong enough to take normal flying but not for heavy landings/aerobatics, hence need for working struts.

On another ( vintage ) model I cheated and used fishing trace wire - again with quicklink ends. I had intended to put wire thru tubing as above for appearances, but in the end didn't bother as wing ( 108" span ) did not need bracing - steel dowel joiners sufficed - and I took brace wires off - still looping it after nearly 20 years

hope this helps
John
Old 02-12-2008, 06:34 PM
BMatthews

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Are the struts on a Senior Telemaster there for looks or for actual load bearing? I've always seen pictures of the ST's with no wing struts at all.
Old 02-12-2008, 06:55 PM
vmsguy

ORIGINAL: BMatthews

Are the struts on a Senior Telemaster there for looks or for actual load bearing? I've always seen pictures of the ST's with no wing struts at all.

These are for wing loading. The wing is a two-piece wing with a small joiner tube. I definitely need the strength.
Old 07-24-2009, 10:56 PM
littlera

vmsguy,

See posts 485 -488 for my solution on a Precedent Aeronca Champ.

Regards,

Randy L.
Old 07-26-2009, 07:46 PM
Lnewqban

Hi Lyndon,

Check also this attachement solution:

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_8963141/tm.htm

Regards!