Notices
Scratch Building, Aircraft Design, 3D/CAD If you are starting/building a project from scratch or want to discuss design, CAD or even share 3D design images this is the place. Q&A's.

RCM F-4 Phantom (#1076)

Old 02-14-2008, 07:17 PM
ductedfan

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RCM F-4 Phantom (#1076)

Hello!!! I was wondering if anyone has built the F-4 Phantom (DF) from RCM plans (#1076)??? If so, did you follow the building sequence laid out in the article from the magazine??? Or did you find a more user-friendly way??? I have everything that I need to start building, just wanted to hear from others. Also, do you have any techniques, methods for improvement, etc, that I should know about??? How did it fly??? Thanks in advance for all of the info...

DF
Old 02-14-2008, 10:58 PM
Pitts S1S
My Feedback: (9)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: RCM F-4 Phantom (#1076)

You might post this in the JEt section, you'll probably get a better response. Lots of old DF'ers there.

Jeff
Old 02-14-2008, 11:53 PM
Props4ever

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'll second that!
Old 02-15-2008, 05:55 PM
ductedfan

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Been there, done that... I got about 70+ views, but no replies...
Old 03-23-2008, 06:54 PM
Mustang Fever
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

DF:

This is one of two F-4s that Pavel Bosak has done. The other one was a PITN version that he did for Radio Control Model World. (UK)

I have the plans for both, and have built and flown the PITN. It is a real "groover", stable as a rock, but performs very well and has a very broad speed envelope. Even with a very high wing loading (about 30 oz/square foot) it has no bad habits and lands and takes off easily. (I only fly it on paved runways)

Pavel is kind of short on instructions. I think he figures that if you're tackling this one, you already know what you're doing.

In order to build the wing, I added tabs to the trailing edge of each rib so they would all sit flat and lined up on the board.

Pavel talks about using a jig to build the fuse, but I don't know of one long enough, and even if there was one, I don't know how you could get all the formers on one and lined up correctly. I drew a reference line under the fuse side view, and measured down to it from each former. Then I made each former with a "extension" that took it down to the reference line, so I could pin them all down to the building board. Then I started planking.

My thread on building this animal is at: http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_51...tm.htm#5193889

The DF version is basically the same wing, with a smaller tail, a longer nose, and a more scale outline than the PITN. The construction is pretty much identical, except for the fan installation.

It appears as if the OS small head 91 and the Ramtec fan will fit it pretty well.

Pavel used wire struts on his retracts, but I went with the small robostruts. I've never regretted it, as the airplane never bounces on landing.

Have fun with it.