Community
Search
Notices
Scratch Building, Aircraft Design, 3D/CAD If you are starting/building a project from scratch or want to discuss design, CAD or even share 3D design images this is the place. Q&A's.

Materials Leading Edge

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2008, 06:18 PM
Prboz

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Materials Leading Edge

Is it possible to get (buy) leading leading edge which is not symmetrical. I have a plan with a semi symmetrical wing so the radius of the leading egde is about 1/3rd of the way along the leading edge.

Thanks

Material is 1/2" X 1/4"

Prboz

Old 03-05-2008, 08:11 PM
BMatthews

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts
Default RE: Materials Leading Edge

There used to be some that was made for flat bottomed airfoils but that and the symetrical stuff is all I've ever seen. Even then the symetrical stuff was sized more for old controline style wings and not for our RC stuff.

If it's a particular airfoil you'll need to carve it to blend correctly anyway.
Old 03-05-2008, 08:57 PM
Live Wire

A razor plane and a little practice on square stalk and you have leading edge
Old 03-06-2008, 01:51 AM
Mooney_driver

Specialized balsa might be able to help you. Take a look at
http://www.specializedbalsa.com/lead_trail_aileron.php and then contact them.
Old 03-06-2008, 07:45 PM
cyclops2

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Draw a accurate full size shape of the piece of wood. Make the rounds IN PERSON offering coffee & doughnuts if the have the shaped tool to do it.
Custom kitchen & cabinet places have loads of tool bits, 1 that would probably work.

Rich
Old 05-05-2011, 07:20 PM
Mooney_driver

ORIGINAL: Prboz

Is it possible to get (buy) leading leading edge which is not symmetrical. I have a plan with a semi symmetrical wing so the radius of the leading egde is about 1/3rd of the way along the leading edge.

Material is 1/2" X 1/4"
I just ran across a how to tip from Woodsmith magazine that showed you how to build your own custom sanding blocks. The link is at:
http://www.woodsmithtips.com/2011/05...sanding-block/

They had you draw the end outline of your piece (leading edge stock in your case) on a piece of insulation foam. Then you shaped that foam and put the sanding paper over that. They were reproducing a cove cut but in our case we would cut out the foam so the piece that would become leading edge stock would have the right shape inside.

This might not be the best way to make one but it is certainly cheaper than coming up with a router bit the right shape and routing one and would work well when only making a couple of leading edge pieces.

I realize that your quetion was where to buy premade stock but short of making a sanding template it might be tough to find a supplier that had the size you need or want and this way you can make custom sizes if needed.
Old 05-06-2011, 07:14 AM
Bax
My Feedback: (11)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

You can use regular leading-edge stock, just slant it a bit.  Carl Goldberg did this on his Skylane 62 model.  The leading edge stock was laid down on the board and the ribs had their fronts slanted so that they fit right onto the leading edge stock.  If you hold a piece of leading edge stock to your wing drawing, you may be able to rotate it a bit to get a close match.  Then cut ribs to suit.  While the profile of the leading edge stock may not be totally correct, you'll have a lot less carving and sanding to do to get it right on.

Old 05-06-2011, 08:09 AM
smithcreek
My Feedback: (25)

ORIGINAL: Live Wire

A razor plane and a little practice on square stalk and you have leading edge
Exactly. It would be one thing if you were mass producing a kit, but for a one off leading edge making custom router bits is over the top.