Community
Search
Notices
Scratch Building, Aircraft Design, 3D/CAD If you are starting/building a project from scratch or want to discuss design, CAD or even share 3D design images this is the place. Q&A's.

Turbocad V9 - make a wing?

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2003, 12:05 AM
Johng
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Turbocad V9 - make a wing?

I got TurboCad V9 a few weeks ago, and I'm quite happy with it.

I first started with V7, never really was able to catch on to the scheme. Then they offered the V8 upgrade, and it actually came with a decent manual. Then I lost the disk and manual somewhere. Then I got the e-mail about the v9 upgrade for $50
I went for it and don't regret it.

The 2d-3d drawing is integrated - no strange exercises to go from 2d-to 3d drawing. 2-d drawing is just a drawing done in 3-d space that happens to sit on a workplane. The manual is easily referenced - and the functions make sense. 'Course the fact that I was laid off and have the time to devot e to learning helps as well.

I'm not sure what the price is for an off-the-street sale is, but this is a pro-grade CAD app, no doubt.
Old 04-26-2003, 02:07 AM
BMatthews

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

I've been considering the jump from my own version 7 as well. You're not helping my wallet any with this review....

Thanks.
Old 04-26-2003, 04:46 PM
Johng

Default Make a 3-d wing model from airfoil?

OK, so I'm blasting along doiong usefull stuff for my U-2 project while learning various funuctions on TCAD9. I'm trying to make a 3-d model of the wing.

Mind you, I have extensive 3-d modeling experience using non-CAD programs, but haven't done much 3d CAD work. My experience is in simulation modeling, similar, but different. It just has to look good.

So, I got ahold of Profili this morning and started right to work, got the airfoil dxf and imported it into TCAD. It was way too big. I assume this is a metric->english conversion problem. Anyone know if there is a way for Profili to work in english units? It's easy to scale for the right size, I'm just wondering.

Now, here's where I try to make the wing. I thought I could just take the airfoil and extrude it to the semi-span length, then scale the end airfoil down to get my taper ratio. 2 problems:

First, the extruded airfoil draws a massive amount of lines to define the curve of the airfoil. It looks as if it's being drawn shaded. Is there an easy way to simplify the geometry so this doen't happen?

Second, you can't just grab the airfoil at the wingtip end of the extrusion and scale it. That is, it doesn't bring all the verts with it by default. There must be a way to grab those verts and scale them down to a smaller size, move them around for sweep, etc.

Suggestions?
Old 04-26-2003, 06:03 PM
Tall Paul

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The numerous lines in the extruded airfoil come from the myriad of points used to define it originally.
Unless you go into the airfoil text itself and delete selected points, you're stuck with what you have.
Old 04-26-2003, 07:16 PM
BMatthews

I just tell Profili to set my chord length to 20mm. This gives me a 20 inch airfoil in TurboCAD. I scale it from there. It's still big but at least you don't have to zoom out to a Continent sized screen to grab it.

And yes you do get a lot of points. In at least one case I've used the DXF as a pattern to trace around using the curve tool and then chucked the original dxf away. That way you can use just 20 or so points.
Old 04-26-2003, 07:23 PM
Johng

Aha, OK it's a straight mm -> inch conversion.

Cool idea on the curve tracing. Any thoughts on how to do a tapered wing in 3d?
Old 04-26-2003, 09:43 PM
BMatthews

Originally posted by Johng
.... Any thoughts on how to do a tapered wing in 3d?
I've only tried 3D in version 7 enough to know I'm better off leaving sleeping dogs lay. Even the little bit you've posted in this thread makes V9 sound a lot more friendly for 3D.

But if I was a guessing man I'd say it would have something to do with the linear copy tool. Perhaps there's a scaling option that goes with the copy? Or it should be possible to make it constant chord and then modify it into a taper? Tag, yer it....
Old 04-26-2003, 10:10 PM
Johng

Big help you are....

I found that I can linear copy the airfoil to the location of the tip, scale it accordingly, and then select "prism" which generates the wing skin surface.

Maybe the "pro" version is a little more friendly in this regard. - Should be able to extrude and scale - or at least select wingtip verts and scale them in-plane to get a tapered wing. Just haven't been able to figure out how to select verts for editing yet.

Don't know how good that'll work with airfoils that are different at root and tip. Should work as long as there are the same number of verts on each..

Maybe next week I'll figure out how to render a jpg and show some results.
Old 04-27-2003, 01:58 AM
Edwin
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

johng
I assume you're talking about selecting verticies and editing. I use turbocad at work to bang out quick boxes for testers from time to time. When you select an object, right click and look for edit node. To add a node (verticie) hold down cntl and drop em down where you want with the mouse. Or, move them where you want.
Edwin
Old 04-28-2003, 01:50 PM
durone-RCU

In the last version of Profili you can work with millimetrs or inches, and also the output DXF files are in the selected unit.

ciao
Stefano