Community
Search
Notices
Scratch Building, Aircraft Design, 3D/CAD If you are starting/building a project from scratch or want to discuss design, CAD or even share 3D design images this is the place. Q&A's.

Adding Air Breaks?

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2008, 11:27 AM
joeccrc
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Adding Air Breaks?

I'm building a Mr. Mulligan, sort of following plans by Bowers. The plans have allot to be desired. But that’s my problem. Anyway, since I’m not exactly following the plans to the point I’ve redrawn the wing. I was thinking wouldn’t Air breaks on it be a hoot. Problem is I’m not sure how to go about doing it. Could I get some input from the masses? Photo of the wing may help.
Thanks
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Sq46721.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	56.2 KB
ID:	908491   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mh21035.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	56.1 KB
ID:	908492  
Old 03-20-2008, 11:39 AM
krossk
My Feedback: (27)

Default RE: Adding Air Breaks?

Air breaks could be catastrophic on any model -
you might want to investigate air brakes instead
Old 03-20-2008, 02:00 PM
FlyerInOKC
My Feedback: (6)

Received 274 Likes on 239 Posts

I have seen airbrakes on low wing aircraft but never on a high wing. I would go with flaps instead they will perform the same function. I am currently building a Ryan SC-W this is a low wing aircraft which was designed with an airbrake mounted to the belly between the main gear. The airbrake is used in lew of flaps. The only other times I can think of that airbrakes are useful are dive bombers during a dive to give more time to sight in the target or large commercial jets to slow the aircraft down after touch down in a landing.

Mike
Old 03-20-2008, 02:56 PM
Edwin
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A Mr. Mulligan will stop plenty fast anyway when you idle down. Doubt you have much chance to use it.
Edwin
Old 03-20-2008, 03:44 PM
joeccrc

Ok, Thank you for the input. So you think for the most part a high wing airplane wouldn't have time to use them anyway. I guess I was thinking of Flaps. They just turn down on landing?
Old 03-20-2008, 03:53 PM
Acs_guitars

ORIGINAL: Dillion

Ok, Thank you for the input. So you think for the most part a high wing airplane wouldn't have time to use them anyway. I guess I was thinking of Flaps. They just turn down on landing?

Yes, Flaps just hang down... Airbrakes/ dive brakes split horizontaly. Flaps are what you want, place them inboard of the ailerons next to the fuselage.

Name:	Om32900.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	14.5 KB
ID:	908754  
Old 03-20-2008, 04:15 PM
joeccrc

Thanks for the drawing, that helps allot. Okay, so I'd locate the towards the fuselage. Would they need to be on a veritable servo or a fixed servo like landing gear, so they are either down or up. Photo is just a size idea, I know they would be on the underside. How large? This might be fun.

Name:	Tr51948.gif
Views:	4
Size:	256.9 KB
ID:	908776  
Old 03-20-2008, 04:19 PM
Edwin
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not all high wing planes are created equally. A streamlined fuse design acts very different from a big round cowl design. A large amount of frontal area (such as the mulligan has) like a P-47, cessna 185, and such can slow the plane down quickly as soon as you throttle way back. Flaps are a great idea. Spoilers or dive brakes wont do you much good unless you have a very aerodynamically clean design like a high lift sail plane. They use spoiler/dive brakes to make sure you dont over shoot your landing zone. It takes a fair amount of skill to manage you lift to the landing zone. You dont get much of a second chance without an engine.
Edwin
Old 03-20-2008, 04:24 PM
joeccrc

Thanks Edwin. From what your saying, my fat, round, short, overweight Mulligan will slow down just fine. Still it was fun Blogging with you. Thanks again.
Old 03-21-2008, 12:24 AM
BMatthews

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Yeah, the big cowl along with a relatively light weight will slow things down in a hurry. Another air brake that is available to you with an electric motor is to turn on the throttle so the motor is just barely spinning and let the air freewheel it up to speed. That prop disc acts like a big air brake. It's like how a gyrocopter stays up but in this case the gyrocopter blades are not lifting but just adding lots of drag.