Community
Search
Notices
Scratch Building, Aircraft Design, 3D/CAD If you are starting/building a project from scratch or want to discuss design, CAD or even share 3D design images this is the place. Q&A's.

Need to open plans

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2003, 08:45 AM
fullsize

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need to open plans

I have two plans that i would love to use as a winter project (yes its almost winter in new zealand). The only problem is, they are both .dxf files and i have nothing to open them with. Is it possible to find a demo version of a program to open these files? Is there any other way i could open them? Maybe some kind person could open them for me and send them back as another file type for use with standard software (mspaint...etc...) Plz help
Old 05-03-2003, 11:30 AM
crow

hi,
probably you need volo view express, it is just for viewing the dxf, dwg and other autocad files, not for editing.
It is free.

http://download.com.com/3000-2402-91...ml?tag=lst-0-1

if this link doesn`t work just open www.download.com and search for VOLO VIEW EXPRESS
Old 05-03-2003, 01:36 PM
cyclonejack2002
My Feedback: (2)

Default Plans Plotting

Born2fly...I'll do ya one better....Email them to me with your snail mail addy and I'll send you full size plans....for the cost of the shipping
Hope this helps
Art
Old 05-03-2003, 02:09 PM
CoosBayLumber
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Try this

You are probably at the wrong place right now.

Go to www.cadalog.com and they have a k-boodle of shareware/freeware for CAD purposes. Thumb through and download a couple files, and try them tonight. Then you can see if what you have is even worth going on to the next step of printing it out. Objective thought here is that you do not have a full sized plotter, but do have an inkjet. That brings up the next situation, in that you will have to go through CADALOG to find a fre software which will enable you to plot out in portions.

Of second place to try is tucows, cnet, and cadonline.

Wm.
Old 05-03-2003, 02:39 PM
BMatthews

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

TurboCAD learning edition should open them and print them to any printer or plotter you can put on your system. Free for download at turbocad.com and not time limited.

But if you want full sized stuff then check into drafting supply and services dealers in your area. Most of them should be able to load and print the file full sized.

Additionally I'd suggest that for the extra couple of bucks you have them print it onto a vellum paper and do a couple of sets of blackline prints to actually cut up and build from. The blacklines are super cheap (or should be).
Old 05-03-2003, 02:52 PM
rogerswin
My Feedback: (2)

Bruce's suggestions are sound. Locate an architectural supply/blueprint house. They can open the files and print the contents. If they're not too busy at the time, they might let you first view the drawings on their monitor.

Roger
Old 05-05-2003, 02:22 AM
*Crash*Johnson*
My Feedback: (7)

First thing I would do is move to the states... It is spring here and flying season.
If not possible, try plan B... Go to www.autocad.com and download volo viewer. Works great to view them, ya just can't edit and stuff.