Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Scratch Building, Aircraft Design, 3D/CAD
Reload this Page >

DISCONTINUED PLANE - SCRATCH BUILD?

Community
Search
Notices
Scratch Building, Aircraft Design, 3D/CAD If you are starting/building a project from scratch or want to discuss design, CAD or even share 3D design images this is the place. Q&A's.

DISCONTINUED PLANE - SCRATCH BUILD?

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2008, 06:44 PM
perkinsm

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DISCONTINUED PLANE - SCRATCH BUILD?

Hi everyone - I have a 30 inch builtup Cap 3D plane that I really like but from what I understand, its no longer being produced. I orginally purchased it as an ARF, and I'm still flying it.

I want to scratch build one just like but I have never atttempted anything like this before. I can see how the various pieces were constructed by holding the plane up to a light source. Short of taking the plane apart and removing the covering to make patterns, does anyone have a suggestion on how to build this?

Thanks in advance !!!!!

Old 10-15-2008, 08:22 PM
Avaiojet

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default RE: DISCONTINUED PLANE - SCRATCH BUILD?

Take it apart. Go for it!

As you do, take many photos. Be careful not to damage the pieces. You can trace each piece. Then decide what scale to build it in. Enlarge the traced parts.

Also, get this, you can assemble the model again and still have it!

Got a photo?

Charles
Old 10-15-2008, 10:40 PM
Live Wire

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: DISCONTINUED PLANE - SCRATCH BUILD?

perkinsm
Get some art paper some measuring equipement and a hand full of pencils and draw yourself a set of plans by copying your plane. You can make templates with card board of your wing ribs by matching them to the out side of the wing in different places, top and bottom

Just another thought You can use your diggie cam and printer to help with plans. Take pic's and print out the size you need. Parts that is