Scratch Building, Aircraft Design, 3D/CAD If you are starting/building a project from scratch or want to discuss design, CAD or even share 3D design images this is the place. Q&A's.

Golden Era 60

Old 05-23-2008, 04:21 PM
Ed_Moorman
My Feedback: (1)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Golden Era 60

My buddy, Carl "Flaps" Laffert, is just finishing up the Golden Era 60 from Model Aviation plans. Everyone gets Model Aviation so I know you've seen it. We should test tomorrow or Sunday and I'll have photos then. Flaps is 86 and started flying free flight in the 1930s, then flew CL after WW II where he was a Marine pilot in SBDs. This plane does remind him of some of the planes back then.

We did make a couple of modifications, as we usually do during construction.
1. The wing on the plans is fairly thin which probably makes for a fast landing speed, so I had him change to a thick symmetrical section.
2. The wing also has no dihedral. A low wing plane without dihedral to cancel rudder roll will roll opposite to the rudder. That is, it will tend to roll over on its back in knife edge.

Note: The fuselage is about the deepest (or tallest) I have seen on a plane this size. It must be about 10" high. It dwarfs the Magnum .91XLS we are using. If that doesn't balance it, we have an OS 1.08 that should add some more weight up front.

Old 05-24-2008, 12:08 PM
Ed_Moorman

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Golden Era 60

We test flew today. The plane flew very well with very little trim needed. Then someone called that I had tail flutter. I immediately chopped power and landed.

The elevator control horn is on the right side and there is a wire joining the two elevator halves. The left side had fluttered and broken the stab leading edge and trailing edge right at the fuselage and the leading edge about half way out. Looks like we need some repair.

We talked about it and decided to do a few things.
1. We would repair the stab in place instead of trying to take it out and rebuild it.
2. This will not be as strong, but we will add some ply inside.
3. We will install guy wires front and rear around the stab, fin and lower fuselage. This will strengthen the stab and also keep it from twisting. We'll probably use 1/32 wire or coated leader wire.
4. We are going to add a second pushrod to the right side of the elevator. We'll tie the two pushrods together up close to the servo. If this doesn't work, we'll add a second servo and I'll mate the two elevator servos.

The plane did land nicely with the thicker wing we used.

I'll have more to report after Flaps gets the repairs and mods done. He might be ready for Monday (holiday) or maybe next weekend.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Db86342.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	79.1 KB
ID:	955811   Click image for larger version

Name:	Us54432.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	75.1 KB
ID:	955812  
Old 05-24-2008, 12:11 PM
Ed_Moorman

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

More photos of the Golden Era 60.

Note how a Magnum .91 2-stroke is dwarfed by the size of the fuselage and cowl.

We didn't have a pilot available, but I am ordering one. I am also ordering a larger spinner.

We need some decals on the wings and fuselage. We'll work on that.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Db86220.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	79.4 KB
ID:	955813   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sq47234.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	77.3 KB
ID:	955814   Click image for larger version

Name:	Us54974.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	57.6 KB
ID:	955815  
Old 06-07-2008, 11:06 AM
Ed_Moorman

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Good flying plane. The thicker, symmetrical airfoil we used has to be better than the thin airfoil; on the plans.

The stab is fixed and the plane re-tested. The guy wires fit right in on a vintage looking plane.

It does knife edge loops. It takes some finesse at the bottom, but on the third try, I completed the loop and continued in knife edge until I turned around. I knew that big fuselage was good for something.

It does snaps and spin s good. I couldn't get it to stay in a flat spin. Over all, excellent plane.
Old 06-21-2008, 11:01 PM
davidgeorge212

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Hi, I ordered the plans from ama for this golden era 60 as well because it is a neat looking plane. I want to put a four stroke in mine and have been kicking around a few but dont know which one will be better. I really like Saitos new FA-125A, they say it is lighter than the 120 and it is built in a 100 size case. I would like some input though because A. Will that big of a motor even fit in the cowl of this plane and 2. would it be overly sufficient in power or should I go lower in size to maybe a 100 or 120?

David G.
Old 06-22-2008, 08:38 PM
Ed_Moorman

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Get the new Saito 1.25. The fuselage and cowl are big. Look at the photos of our plane above. That's a .91 2-stroke in there. The fuselage is 10" deep and 5 or 6" wide.

You'll probably need a longer gear.

I would put a thicker airfoil on the plane like we did. With the airfoil on the plans, I think you'll be landing fast. Our wing is 2 1/4" thick with 1 1/4" of dihedral uinder each tip. There is no roll coupling in knife edge.
Old 06-23-2008, 09:09 PM
davidgeorge212

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

well, I just got back from the hobby shop with a pile of lumber and a brand spankin new saito 125. I was looking at the specs and it is suppossed to run 15 to 17 inch props.

Then I got an invision instead of mounting it right side up and building longer landing gear, what if I mounted the motor inverted and higher up. That would allow me to have smaller landing gear (maybe even the stock pair of four star 120's) . I would have to reshape the cowl a little but that is no problem. I dont know if I will actually do that yet just a thought.

You mention that you fattened up the wing and after looking at the plans I know what you mean. Would you happen to have a drawing of the new size and shaped rib that you used on your plane, if not thats ok. did you keep it fully symetrical when you fattened it, I was thinking about fatting it only on the top to make it a little more semi semetrical.

Alright now I just need to clear an area off my workbench so I can start building.
Old 06-28-2008, 10:02 PM
davidgeorge212

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Well I started doing a little work on my plans. I copied a bunch of the ribs and bulkheads. I actually even managed to cut out the firewall tonight which looks great. I am still thinking about the wing though. Im afraid if I fatten the ribs up I might not do it well and it might effect the flight characteristics for the worse. I am thinking I might leave the airfoil shape the same but put a little diheadral in each wing. I could always dial in some flaperons to slow it down during landings if need be. I have a really long grass runway where I fly ( the owner actually takes off and lands his full scale cessna 172 on the same runway) This is going to be a fun project I can tell already. Is it true, I read somewhere in the ama article that the auther says this plane flies like an ultra stick type arf plane but still keeps the look of the 1930's style racer? would you compare the flight characteristcs to an ultra stick type plane?

David G.
Old 06-29-2008, 11:38 AM
Ed_Moorman

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I've got both the 40 (OS .55AX) and 60 (Evo 1.00) Ultra Sticks and the Golder Era 60 is heavier due to the big fuselage, but flies well. I do recall the author saying he landed a little fast. The airfoil looks more like something from a racer. It will fly great if you keep it light, but with all the lumber in the Golden Era fuselage, it isn't going to be very light.

As for messing up the flight characteristics, check every acro plane around and you won't see an airfoil as thin as the one on the plans. As long as you keep the thickest point about 1/3rd of the way back, you'll be fine. I like a full symmetrical because it doesn't tend to change pitch with power. A flat botton and, to a lesser extent, a semi symmetrical, airfoil will climb under power and dive at idle unless you correct. For general sport and acro RC, a symmetrical flies better than anything.
Old 11-08-2008, 02:08 PM
DMSMITH

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Well hello. Just to get into the middle of things i Just ordered the short kit of the Golden Era 60 from Creative Hobbies. 85.00 dollors. I will keep everyone posted on this build. From the size of the cowl iam going to put a sato 1.25 in it. As for the wings. It cant be any worse than a little Tony. Just alittle speed needed on landings.
Old 11-20-2008, 01:45 PM
DMSMITH

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Received the short kit from Creative Hobbies today. All kit pices are laser cut and done very well. Waiting for the sheet plans from AMA to start. From the looks of it at this time the cowl area is large enough for a Saito 1.25, but we will see when we cross that bridge. Ordering balsa from Balsa USA. This should be fun.
Old 08-28-2009, 09:56 PM
ppkk

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

How is it going? Thinking of ordering the short kit also.
Old 07-23-2011, 07:14 PM
davidgeorge212

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

well, I started building my golden era 60 a couple of years ago but shelved it until now. I recently pulled it back up to the work bench and started building some more on it. Originally I was talking about going with the saito 125 in some of my previous posts. But, now that there are all these new small gassers on the market I am sort of tempted to go that route. Do you guys have any thoughts about installing a Saito FG-20 on this plane? The specs show its probably the same power as the 1.25 glow and its only about 5 or so more ounces heavier. I think im still planning on making the airfoil a little fatter and putting a little diheadral in the wing.
Old 07-25-2011, 08:15 PM
davidgeorge212

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

do you think this plane could easily enough handle the weight of another battery for an ignition? Anyone know what would be a good size battery to put on a saito fg 20 ignition?
Old 07-10-2012, 09:48 AM
davidgeorge212

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Well, I guess its almost been a year ago since I last worked on my Golden Era .60. I have since just finished it up last weekend and flew it. I now have around 5 flights on it so far and I am loving it. My plane is probably a little heavier than most because I fabriced it and painted it. I ended up using my Saito 1.25 for power. I was a little surprised to find out the saito 125 didnt pull it as fast as I was originally thinking. I thought this plane would be super fast but in reality it flies at a rather moderate speed around 3/4 throttle. I am running a 16x6 master airscrew for my prop. I did take a few pictures of it but I will have to post them later.

David