Community
Search
Notices
Scratch Building, Aircraft Design, 3D/CAD If you are starting/building a project from scratch or want to discuss design, CAD or even share 3D design images this is the place. Q&A's.

Autocad 2d Drawings for CNC

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2003, 09:57 PM
filtr-RCU

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Autocad 2d Drawings for CNC

Hi Folks

If I have a top view and a side view of a airplane part in autocad 2002. Can these files be used to CNC a female mold of the part. If someone could answer this question, it would be great.

ron
Old 05-08-2003, 10:08 AM
Highflight
My Feedback: (4)

I wish you had been a little more specific about the nature of the part so I could better understand what you are trying to do, but the simplest way to drive a CNC cutter is by using one of the available conversion programs (usually supplied by the CNC hardware company) that will take a DXF export from AutoCad and convert it into G-code which is what directs the cutter.
G-code is all very simple (text-based) but you have to learn the basics; kind of like when we were messing with BASIC in the early computer days.

Highflight
Old 05-08-2003, 11:18 AM
DICKEYBIRD

I think you're asking if a toolpath can be generated for a 3D shape (canopy, fuse, prop, etc.) from 2D views. If so, the answer is no. The part would have to be drawn in 3D CAD then converted. Don't ask me how 'cuz all I can handle is 2 1/2D CNC to cut out flat parts like ribs, bulkheads, etc.
Old 05-08-2003, 12:25 PM
filtr-RCU

Hi Folks

I was wanting to cut out landing gear and the wheel pants.

Ron
Old 05-08-2003, 01:34 PM
Highflight
My Feedback: (4)

Originally posted by filtr
Hi Folks

I was wanting to cut out landing gear and the wheel pants.

Ron
OK, I get it. You threw me off by putting 2D in the subject line.
DickeyBird pretty much covered it in that what you are trying to do really is 3D that _requires_ 3D code to run your 3D CNC machine.

But that's not the whole story because if you want to do wheel pants, some of the action is going to be an undercut to get the whole wheelpants shape.

That means that you are really wanting to work in 4D which requires a CNC servo controlled lathe accessory (rotation is the 4th dimension) that will rotate the part as well. Now we're talking some heavy CNC code for the uninitiated.

Unless you truly want to get into CNC as a VERY serious hobby or even a profession, I think you would save a lot of time by doing it the old fashioned way; measure, cut; measure, cut; measure, cut.

Be thankful that you are already making things a LOT easier by being able to draw your basic designs in CAD to begin with.

Highflight