Community
Search
Notices
Scratch Building, Aircraft Design, 3D/CAD If you are starting/building a project from scratch or want to discuss design, CAD or even share 3D design images this is the place. Q&A's.

Looking For Laser Cutter

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2003, 11:34 AM
BobHH
My Feedback: (18)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Looking For Laser Cutter

Looking for a laser cutter who can cut a 48 inch x 6 inch x 1/8 balsa sheet. I am using AutoCAD 14 for templates. I could possibly use a 30 inch length but having trouble finding any cutters that can do over 24 inches. Got any suggestions?

Thanks,

Bob Harris
Early RC Models
Old 05-09-2003, 12:42 PM
Highflight
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There will be several resources available and the cheapest way to get what you want will be to build it yourself from a kit.

Do a search in this 3D/CAD Section and you'll find a rather long CNC subject thread that addresses a lot of CNC issues for the do-it-yourselfer.

You might also start at www.maxnc.com and check out their 42" x 24" x 6" CNC rig because that's pretty close in size to what you're looking for. They also supply kits and plans etc.

Highflight
Old 05-09-2003, 01:19 PM
CoosBayLumber
My Feedback: (1)

You haven't looked hard enough. You must be looking in "model" related sources.

I have taken 24 by 48 stock up to 1/4" birch plywood to cutters and had them cut the single sheet into parts and individual sheets. Any balsa is quick and easy, as he cuts two sheets at once on one set-up if the same drawing.

At present I give the large stuff to Bob Holman, and his rates are low. He can reduce Autocad R-14 and earlier easily, as he uses the drivers from LT. DO NOT convert to DXF or quality will diminish. Send him one of you big sheets in both R-14 format (SHEET1.DWG) and a saved plot file in old fashioned HP-GL pen plot language (SHEET1.PLT) Make sure it is a complicated one with lots of parts.

CNC uses a lot of material clearances, whereas laser you need generally about 0.040" between lines of different parts. Need about 1/8" tolerance for border too. All linework in black/white/neutral and all text in red. Will take about 2-3 minutes to cut two parallel sheets hat size

He will supply the material if you want, or supply your own.

My web-site just went dead on May 1st, or I would let you read up on quickie set-up.

Wm.
Old 05-09-2003, 01:31 PM
Closterman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Laser Cutter

Go to www.laserlizard.com
Jesse is my "official" laser cutter and I have always a great service. His laser have 24x30.
Old 05-09-2003, 05:33 PM
BobHH
My Feedback: (18)

Default Thank Guys

Thanks for the input. I have been working with Jessie at Laserlizard but he cannot import my DWG or DXF files. I have found other sources but the setup fee kills when you are prototyping a new kit. I am now having all my work done by Alex at AK Models. He is doing great work but is limited at 24 inches max. I will try Bob Holman and see what he thinks. The down side of this whole issue is I have a 3000 watt laser in the plant at my office but I can't use it for personal business!!!

Bob Harris
Early RC Models