Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Scratch Building, Aircraft Design, 3D/CAD
Reload this Page >

"CAD for Modelers, Volume Two" released

Notices
Scratch Building, Aircraft Design, 3D/CAD If you are starting/building a project from scratch or want to discuss design, CAD or even share 3D design images this is the place. Q&A's.

"CAD for Modelers, Volume Two" released

Old 08-30-2008, 08:59 PM
Mike James

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default "CAD for Modelers, Volume Two" released

Hi everybody,

"CAD for Modelers, Volume Two" is available now, (launched August 28th) and can be found at http://www.mikejamesmedia.com/products.html

On the page above, there's an outline of the contents, sample images, and a preview movie. (along with my F-22 "Raptor" article, at http://www.mikejamesmedia.com/f_22_01_intro.html )

Enjoy!
Old 09-02-2008, 05:09 PM
dhal22

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default RE: "CAD for Modelers, Volume Two" released

would any of your products assist me in learning to use turbocad?

thx, david
Old 09-02-2008, 09:49 PM
Mike James

Hi David,

TurboCad has been around for quite a while, and I'd say it makes a good introductory program of it's type, for those who want to learn the process, or who aren't sure they're going to stick with it, and therefore, don't want to spend a lot of money on it. And, like any tool, what you do with it depends largely on you, right? A great mechanic can do the job with an adjustable wrench, where an inept person won't really benefit from a larger tool set.

I've spent my life as an artist of various types... Musician (drummer), 3D programming in the old days (80's) 2D and 3D art, web site design, etc.. I discuss all those things from the same point of view, which is it's much more important to help people with their conceptual toolkit than with "what button to push". All 2D and 3D software has similarities, but different "buttons to push". (That's something you have to learn yourself, with software-specific tutorials, etc..)

So, no matter what software you use, a line is a line, a boolean is a boolean, an extrusion is an extrusion, and so on. From the start, these products were designed to be as generic as possible, with the specific idea in mind that the concepts were more important than the details of their implementation. If you agree with that approach, then yes, my products will help. If you need TurboCad-specific information, then no, they probably won't.

Hope this helps. (There's an outline of what's on each disc, as well as a preview movie and images for each one, which might help you decide, on my sites. ( http://www.nextcraft.com for the RC-related items, and http://www.mikejamesmedia.com for other imaging-related items )

Good luck, regardless.
Old 09-02-2008, 11:00 PM
BMatthews

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

David, I recently updated to TurboCAD V 15 Deluxe. I figured it was time to try to learn some 3D. So I started...... in three or four instances I searched the help because I knew what I wanted and that any 3D CAD should be able to do such a thing. WHat I found each time was "this feature is only available in the Pro Version". So that ended my 3D CAD efforts for the moment. Without the advanced features there was no way to draw curved sides in two planes such as I wanted so I'll stick to 2D.

But if you only want 2D then TurboCAD rocks. I've tried a lot of others and found they all had things or procedures that got in my way and I came back to TurboCAD.

But ANY drawing program is a steep uphill learning curve. You need to dig in and actually try to do a simple design and deal with the issues as they arise. And also check out the Baker's Dozen TurboCAD tips in the CAD help sticky at the top of this forum. It's the 13 things that I found were the most important to me when I was learning.
Old 09-03-2008, 11:54 AM
CrateCruncher
My Feedback: (1)

DHAL22,
I searched and found a bundle pack of 2D and 3D training guides with DVD's for TurboCad V12 on feebay not too long ago for $25. They are the IMSI training guides once sold to small business for several hundred dollars and are self paced tutorials. The 2D training guide is nearly 400 pages and 3D is 236. It was all shrink-wrapped factory literature marked WAY down for clearance because it's not for the latest version (V14 at the time). If your willing to exploit the "obsolete" game with IMSI you can get some great bargains.

Bruce, I haven't checked for V15 yet but you might keep an eye out for a cheap V15 PRO upgrade on feebay. It's just a matter of time. Crate.