Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Scratch Building, Aircraft Design, 3D/CAD
Reload this Page >

looking for someone that can CNC a plug

Community
Search
Notices
Scratch Building, Aircraft Design, 3D/CAD If you are starting/building a project from scratch or want to discuss design, CAD or even share 3D design images this is the place. Q&A's.

looking for someone that can CNC a plug

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2008, 06:58 PM
T45WingNut
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default looking for someone that can CNC a plug

I am looking for someone that can CNC a plug out of Foam or other material From a 3d Cad Model ( If it can be done from the Cad files i have i really dont know ) . I can make the Mods my self from the plug.. pm me for more information and i can email the Cad File to you for a quote.. it would be for a 40 to 60 size King Air 200.. i all so have a few others i may want to have dont all so at later date.. i am just looking for a Base plug to be made. I will add the scale details my self befor i make the Molds. here is a rendering of the Cad Model
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ca82456.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	17.1 KB
ID:	1026181  
Old 09-04-2008, 09:35 PM
Laird SS

Default RE: looking for someone that can CNC a plug

The ability to nc the plug from the model may depend on the type of file you have created. What product did you use to create the file?

BB
Old 09-04-2008, 10:27 PM
T45WingNut

not sure What product was used to make the file.. it was on a CD my Dad had from years ago. and well i just found the CD Rom and was thinking well it might could be used.. ( he passed away a few years ago ) so its been sitting in a Box for years.. all i know is there are two File for each 3D model . one DFX and the other is a DWG.. i am not sure where he got them from... i dont not know enuff about cad to really know if they can be used for anything.. but i can open them with AutoCad or Rhino cad program .. ( I have no clue how to use those programs )..
Old 09-06-2008, 04:04 PM
Chad Veich
My Feedback: (60)

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

T45, if you're interested contact me off the board and we can talk about having a plug machined. The company I work for has the capability and is interested in some test projects that they may be willing to do at a cut rate just to gain the experience.

Chad Veich
[email protected]
Old 09-06-2008, 06:11 PM
CoosBayLumber

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well, often times this is going to become very expensive. For unless you know CAD, then ain't much else to explain as how to create what eventially you will need. Thus you have to hire a local, and then a local machine shop to do the work, and then someone to lay things up, and then who knows what....

Essentially, begin looking around your own area first and find such a firm/person as this is going to take a lot of communication on both of your parts.

I maentioned such to a reader from Oz today, and look at responce there. having a picture is no guarantee that thing will work in the end. Also do a bit of inquiery as to altering the design. See what will happen if you increase or decrease the main wing incidence one degree. That simple thing sure changes how it will eventially fly. And better hope that the flying surfaces have been checked for area and position against the formulae. Many realbody carrying aircraft do not scale down.

Wm.
Old 09-07-2008, 04:55 AM
T45WingNut

CoosBayLumber

the Composite work is not the problem.. I been working in composites for about 10 years.. ( with UAV's ) but i am no Cad Wizs.. if I knew how to pull some good cross section from the Model then i would just build a plug up by hand.. and skip the CNC work.. here are some samples of composite work i did in the pass.. i have pics of other UAV's i have worked on but cant post them on a open Form like this one.. the Global hawk Model in the pick was a counting my self was a 7 person team .. its a 1/2 Scale if the Full size UAV. I am all so working on a small sport type Fuse for a 450 size helicopter.. making the Tools or plugs and lay-ups are no Big thing I can do all of that my self.. ( just takes Time ) all i need is help with the Drawings .. if i had a Print or plan I could do it with no problems.. but this is one of those aircraft that well not many people have made Models of much.. ( i can think of only one )

I all so do Freelance work if anyone needs Composite work Done.( if you have Drawings to work from ) . I hope to have a web page up soon.. and really get my shop going .. and add more capabilities to it as i go..
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Zu63946.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	20.9 KB
ID:	1027851   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mr42428.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	61.2 KB
ID:	1027852   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ng99635.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	73.3 KB
ID:	1027853  
Attached Images  
Old 09-07-2008, 07:40 AM
ppljr
My Feedback: (94)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You need to get ahold of Mike James at Nextcraft. He is on this forum occasionally.

http://www.nextcraft.com/b200_construction01.html