Community
Search
Notices
Scratch Building, Aircraft Design, 3D/CAD If you are starting/building a project from scratch or want to discuss design, CAD or even share 3D design images this is the place. Q&A's.

Frise Ailerons

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2003, 09:04 PM
bowmaker

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Frise Ailerons

Greetings,
I am working on my first build from plans only project. I have hit a road block. The plans indicate frise style ailerons with the gap at the underside of the wing. Two questions: How and where do I hinge these? What about the gap, won't the gap cause fluter? Anyone have any words of wisdom?

bowmaker
Old 05-23-2003, 09:29 PM
heavy date-RCU

Default Frise Ailerons

The Frise aileron was designed so that the bottom front edge of the upward moving aileron will be under the edge of the wing to cause some drag on that side of the wing. Almost like putting differential in the ailerons.

They hinge fairly deep in the aileron on the centerline. The gap will not flutter as the top skin should overlap the upper side of the aileron by as much as 1/2" depending on the size of the plane.
If you spend some extra time looking at the plans I think it will become clerer to you just how they work.
Hope that helps
Old 05-23-2003, 09:31 PM
ThunderAI-RCU

Default Frise Ailerons

Frise alierons are a great system, and I plan on using them in my piper meridian.

You need to mass balance your ailerons, and hindge them along the cambered side of the airfoil. The gap wont be a problem once you connect the aileron to the control horn and balance the aileron.

Balance the aileron.

I do not have a graphic on me at this time, but perhaps in a few hours
Old 05-24-2003, 03:01 PM
bowmaker

Default Frise Ailerons

ThunderAI:
Thanks for the response. As I am new at building please forgive my ignorance, but how does one mass balance an aileron? How does balancing an aileron in such a way eliminate conrtol surface flutter?

Bowmaker
Old 05-24-2003, 03:49 PM
ThunderAI-RCU

Default Frise Ailerons

Originally posted by bowmaker
ThunderAI:
Thanks for the response. As I am new at building please forgive my ignorance, but how does one mass balance an aileron? How does balancing an aileron in such a way eliminate conrtol surface flutter?

Bowmaker
No such thing as ignorance. I have attached a simple graphic that gives you a good example of what a frise aileron is, and how it works.

Fluttering is reduced, because the aileron is no longer out of balance.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	81069_33204.gif
Views:	281
Size:	7.3 KB
ID:	47732  
Old 05-24-2003, 06:04 PM
bowmaker

Default Frise Ailerons

ThunderAI:
Thank you. However I still have a problem in that the plans show the angle of the leading edge of the aileron to be reversed to your illustration and with the trailing edge of the wing straight cut with no angle. I think I willprobably re-work the configuration of wing and aileron to match your illustration. It seems to make more sense. Unless of course you have any other suggestions that might help.

Bowmaker
Old 05-24-2003, 06:43 PM
ThunderAI-RCU

Default Frise Ailerons

If you are going to mass balance your aileron this will be about the only way to do that efectivly.

Do a search on the internet. You'll get alot of information on frise and possible layouts. The layouts can be almost without end. And as long as they are mass balanced then you can almost eliminate fluttering.

Here is a link on helping to get the servo linkages correct

http://home.att.net/~j.m.allain/SkyH...oAdverYaw.html
Attached Images