Scratch Building, Aircraft Design, 3D/CAD If you are starting/building a project from scratch or want to discuss design, CAD or even share 3D design images this is the place. Q&A's.

Bigger Ailerons

Old 05-24-2003, 06:51 PM
David Shaffer
My Feedback: (1)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Bigger Ailerons

Dear RCU.

A friend of mine had an accident with his plane and broke the whole tail section off. I will not have any trouble repairing that, but we have another question. The ailerons on the wing are only 1 inch wide. We would like to make new ailerons for the wing only this time make them 1 3/4 inches to 2 inches wide. Will the wider aileron's make the plane un - controlable or just make it more responsive?

Any help will be welcomed !

Thanks

David
Old 05-24-2003, 07:05 PM
ThunderAI-RCU

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Re: Bigger Ailerons

Originally posted by David Shaffer
Dear RCU.

A friend of mine had an accident with his plane and broke the whole tail section off. I will not have any trouble repairing that, but we have another question. The ailerons on the wing are only 1 inch wide. We would like to make new ailerons for the wing only this time make them 1 3/4 inches to 2 inches wide. Will the wider aileron's make the plane un - controlable or just make it more responsive?

Any help will be welcomed !

Thanks

David
With the given information, I'm going to say both. Depending on your skill level the aircraft could easily be so responsive it could become unctrolable, or sheer the ailerons right off.

What type aircraft is it? power plant ?
Old 05-26-2003, 07:53 AM
Dream_Flyer
My Feedback: (7)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default just a thought :o)

I hope this will help . A Super Hots .60 size uses 1.5 to 2in ailerons. And I changed this to 4.5 at the root and 2.5 at the tip. It improved the low speed handling ALLOT . And it is much more responsive as well. But this is not a speed plane. I also enlarged all of the other control surfaces and I am very happy with it for what I wanted it to do.
In the stock configuration when landing at slow speeds the ailerons would get very mushy and unresponsive that is why I enlarged them. And the same goes for the rudder and elavator as well. But it just depends on what you are looking to do with the airplane you have.

Just my .02
Old 05-26-2003, 01:47 PM
Steve
My Feedback: (54)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Bigger Ailerons

Bigger ailerons shouldn't hurt you a bit as long as you set the throws up for proper flying. Just use the same low rate as you are using now. Remember, making them bigger will automatically increase the throw , so you have to lower your low rate setting to match what you have with the smaller ailerons. Then gradually increase your high rate to where you like to fly.

Steve