Community
Search
Notices
Scratch Building, Aircraft Design, 3D/CAD If you are starting/building a project from scratch or want to discuss design, CAD or even share 3D design images this is the place. Q&A's.

Getting Your Plans Printed

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2008, 05:37 AM
smcouch77

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Getting Your Plans Printed

I'm fairly new to CAD drawing. I have used Model Cad to draw plans for a 1/3 scale SE5a. Where do I take these to be printed. All of the print shops I have tried want to convert them to PDF first and then print them. The problem is that they can't seem to get the prints to the exact size. Some one has to know how to work with CAD files.
Steve
Old 09-29-2008, 05:52 AM
bps
My Feedback: (3)

Default RE: Getting Your Plans Printed

Draw a vertical and horizontal ruler on the plans in one corner. Save the entire drawing file .pdf on your computer and print out drawing at full size positioning the drawing in the ruler corner of the drawing in print preview. Leave the tile unchecked or you will print the entire drawing on your printer at the printer's paper size. Rescale the drawing to print the ruler the correct size, save and reprint to verify your scale. Have the printer first print out this corner of the plans for correct size before reprinting, you have done the sizing work for the printer but they will need to verify ruler size before printing the entire plans set. This should solve your sizing problem. The printer just does not want to have to do this extra step or his program is sizing the drawing to paper printer output size. This should not be an issue for him. Hope this helps.
Old 09-29-2008, 09:04 AM
LSF2298
My Feedback: (4)

Have you tried a Blueprint shop? They usually have a large photocopier which will give you 1:1 results.
Old 09-29-2008, 09:56 AM
CrateCruncher
My Feedback: (1)

ORIGINAL: LSF2298

Have you tried a Blueprint shop? They usually have a large photocopier which will give you 1:1 results.
I agree with LSF. I got tired of glazed stares from the Kinko's crowd and began taking my work to printers that cater to the construction industry. Construction contractors and architectural/engineering firms use these guys to make dozens of prints and alterations for every project. They know how to print CAD files because its what they specialize in.
Old 09-29-2008, 06:27 PM
MasterAlex

ORIGINAL: CrateCruncher

ORIGINAL: LSF2298

I agree with LSF. I got tired of glazed stares from the Kinko's crowd and began taking my work to printers that cater to the construction industry. Construction contractors and architectural/engineering firms use these guys to make dozens of prints and alterations for every project. They know how to print CAD files because its what they specialize in.
Yep, I did the exact same thing too. The goofy looks you get a Kinko's are frustrating (you'd think a copy shop would be able to produce a 1:1 copy of something...). The blueprint shop was wonderful to work with ... and less expensive than Kinkos!

-MA
Old 09-29-2008, 06:53 PM
Hemikiller
My Feedback: (125)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: smcouch77

I'm fairly new to CAD drawing. I have used Model Cad to draw plans for a 1/3 scale SE5a. Where do I take these to be printed. All of the print shops I have tried want to convert them to PDF first and then print them. The problem is that they can't seem to get the prints to the exact size. Some one has to know how to work with CAD files.
Steve

Steve, drop me a PM. I own an HP Designjet thermal inkjet plotter, can do prints 36" wide, up to 50 feet long. I'm well versed in CAD, it's what I do every day.

I had a similar experience at the office supply stores, which is what prompted me to buy an inkjet plotter. The local Staples tried to sell me one of my TIFF format plans they had printed on B-size paper and then enlarged to a finished size of 36X73. You can guess the results. They did this because the brain trust there couldn't figure out how to set up the drivers and network the printer properly. The blueprint shop near me was getting ridiculous, wanting $10 for an E-size print. I also have pen plotter, but it's limited to vector work only and only does DXF and DWG based drawings.

I've got an ad in the marketplace..

http://www.rcuniverse.com/market/item.cfm?itemID=437954

My normal rates are $1.20 per running foot of 36" wide paper, 24" wide is $.90. I'll do a discount for large print jobs 15ft in length or more.
Old 09-29-2008, 07:14 PM
smcouch77

Thank you all for your suggestions. I think I'll give Hemikiller a shot.
Steve
Old 10-09-2008, 02:14 PM
smcouch77

I just got my plans from Hemikiller. The price was right and the drawings are excellent!
Thanks, Dennis!
Steve